Oboe, Oh No!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rogervj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Oboe, Oh No!

Post by rogervj »

I found this old flute mislabeled at a thrift Store as an "oboe with no mouthpiece". I thought a bargain at $60!
Cocus or Rosewood? Silver head cap and foot cap. No pewter plugs on the C & C#.
It seems to have been well played in it's life. No makers marks (perhaps under the electrical tape on the barrel?) . According to Terry McGees C# to D# scale it is 250.8 mm, so should play in the neighborhood of 440htz. The head cork is crumbling so it is unplayable for now. #4 tone hole is 8.5mm, so almost medium. The embochure is 12mm x 9.5mm which seems a little large (and somewhat rectangular).
Fully lined head (with a crack on the back side), typical barrel crack over the slide.
8 keys plus. A right and left hand touch for the A#. A very long key to below the C? Would that be for venting? "B" foot??
Any ideas on age or origin would be appreciated. Thanks!
tstermitz

Re: Oboe, Oh No!

Post by tstermitz »

Nach Meyer Flute. German. Late 1800s into the 1900s. Sears catalog?

German silver, not sterling, however it would go nice on the mantel (or the gun rack in your pickup) if you cleaned it up with some denatured alcohol.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

tstermitz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:26 pm Nach Meyer Flute. German. Late 1800s into the 1900s. Sears catalog?

German silver, not sterling, however it would go nice on the mantel (or the gun rack in your pickup) if you cleaned it up with some denatured alcohol.
Meyer or Nach some of these play very nicely.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I saw that on the Shop Goodwill site myself - I agree with the earlier posts: Nach Meyer. Sometimes they're OK (but usually not) - hope you got one of the good ones!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV