McKenna's polka 2

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
john

McKenna's polka 2

Post by john »

Could anyone tell me what the above titled tune (pg 30 in fintan vallely's flute tutor) is also known as. I can't find it on thesession under the name McKenna.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: McKenna's polka 2

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Merry Girl, I think.
My brain hurts

bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Yes, McKenna played this in a set preceded by a polka often called "Up and Away," and it's pretty common to hear them called "John McKenna's polkas" or "McKenna's #1 and #2."

They are, by the way, two of my absolute favorite tunes to play on flute, as are the two polkas that he recorded called "The Ballroom Favorite." They're all really well-suited to the instrument.
tommydee
Tell us something.: Learning flute (started August 2022) and whistle (started in 2021). Focusing now on breathing and getting a decent tone from the flute. My short-term goal is to be able to play a set of jigs and set of reels in a rhythmically and musically OK way on flute by May 15, 2023. My medium term goal is to be good enough to start participating in the slow sessions in my town by July.

Post by tommydee »

It comes after "Tripping to the Well" on the Buck from the Mountain CD as well. I'm only a beginner so take with a grain of salt, but the CDs and liner notes in that collection are great and the sound quality (for a very old recording) is fantastic. Listening to how he plays these is really cool (and very different from a lot of modern players).