Olwell flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Olwell flutes

Post by PB+J »

Well it's been nearly a month since I got the Olwell pratten (fully lined) and it's taken me that long to kind of unlock the right embouchure. It's very loud or at least the player (me) experiences it as very loud. I wear earplugs for the more formulaic practice elements. I would say it does not take more air than my other pratten style flute and it's extremely efficient--the good-tone-to-air-used ratio is excellent.

We're coming into the very dry indoor heating season here and I'm watching humidity closely
BKWeid
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Re: Olwell flutes

Post by BKWeid »

PB+J, sounds like progress! Good for you. I don’t experience my Olwell Pratten as “loud”. It tends to respond to my input—loud when I push and quiet when I play quietly. I’m sure part of that player experience is influenced by the room you’re playing in and by previous flutes you’ve grown used to playing. You have a very good flute! I’m sure you’ll continue to enjoy.

Yes, humidity. I picked up a discount cigar humidor that is about 18” by 12” by 10” (internally) with a tray that creates a second level. I keep it at 50-55 percent humidity with minimal upkeep; wetting the sponge once a week or so. It’s nice to not have to worry about my flutes. Otherwise, the Utah air is desert dry, especially with heating in the winter. My first Burns flute lost a ring years ago before I learned about wooden flute care.