WTB: flute cases

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
angelablueskies
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a lifelong flutist, and have played classical/world music professionally for many years. I also work with sound as a tool for mindfulness and healing, and am heading in a new direction in learning Irish traditional music.

WTB: flute cases

Post by angelablueskies »

Greetings,

I have recently acquired some antique wood flutes and received them without any cases, and am looking for some options. I'm hoping to find wood/hard cases for them as they all have various numbers of keys. Anyone have a spare case that you don't need because of an upgrade?

I'm also curious if anyone knows of people making cases that could fit various flutes without having to have them custom made?

Thank you in advance!
~ Angela
www.angelablueskies.com
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: WTB: flute cases

Post by maracirac »

If you on facebook take look at: ty touze box
Owner is Nicolas Le Touze from France, and he makes great boxes. On his facebook page are lot of pictures of his flute cases.
You have several categories of his boxes, made from solid or veneer wood.
Marin
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

The simplest and cheapest I've found are pistol cases. They are available on eBay or Amazon in the $10-20 range. They work but aren't all that aesthetically pleasing—to me at least—and I've had a couple of questions while transporting them on airplanes.

Higher priced, but very effective, are those from McNeela in Ireland. https://mcneelamusic.com/wind/flutes/fl ... -sold-out/ They seem to go in and out of stock but regularly go on sale so if you're not in a rush, you might consider them. I use one for a keyed flute and had to do some minor surgery (scalpel and patience) to accommodate the keys. These are compact and sturdy.

There are custom made wooden cases but I've avoided them both for cost and because I'd be as worried about damaging them as damaging the instrument enclosed. You can get protective cases to protect a custom wooden case, but at some point the case is getting close in cost to that of the flute.

Some initial thoughts...

Best wishes.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Just noticed that this is in the UIE, which doesn't allow for discussion. Perhaps it should be moved to the flute forum.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jeggy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

maracirac wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:15 am If you on facebook take look at: ty touze box
Owner is Nicolas Le Touze from France, and he makes great boxes. On his facebook page are lot of pictures of his flute cases.
You have several categories of his boxes, made from solid or veneer wood.
Marin
I have two flute cases from Nicolas (and a jewelry box), one in white ebony and the other in Camphor. All are beautiful and I'm so very pleased with them. Nicolas is great to deal with, just a very nice chap. If you feel like your flutes deserve a nice, bespoke and fitted box, you can't go wrong with Nicolas.

Worth noting that these aren't really gig cases so if you're planning on travelling the world with your flute(s), you'd need a soft case to hold it in.