Mullan flutes, any one play one of their recent flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Mullan flutes, any one play one of their recent flutes?

Post by I.D.10-t »

Just curious about their keyed F polymer and if it would be likely to be a paperweight.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
accordionstu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Mullan flutes, any one play one of their recent flutes?

Post by accordionstu »

I have just serviced 16 Mullan Bb flutes for a band recently and these were marked with the Mull Wilkes stamp which were their earlier models and they aren't bad for the money. I have owned one of their F flutes in Polymer before but it wasn't in tune. As far as Iam aware all their flutes are made in Pakistan and imported in, then the Mullan family tweak them and tune them to suit.
There are plenty of marching bands who use their flutes and they are happy with them.

The F flutes in Polymer on his website look identical to the one I had so I can't confirm if they are the same quality or if they have improved.
But for a solo instrument the F Flute might be suitable for your needs. If you wanted to pay a little more you could get a keyless F from Tony Millyard for £290 or a 5 key F from Miller Wicks for £465 and these are top quality.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK