Discovering How Cool Bansuri Flutes Are For Celtic Music!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Discovering How Cool Bansuri Flutes Are For Celtic Music

Post by Mr.Gumby »

while this is a pretty bad practice if you actually want to keep your flute in good condition, the improvised and impermanent nature of the instrument meant that the damage didn't really matter.
The practice however spilled over into the 'concert' flutes: there's the wellknown story of the Tulla ceiliband going for audition to appear on the radio during the late 40s/early 50s where one of the fluteplayers ran water through the flutes and the whole thing went pear shaped. the band didn't appear on radio for another twenty years.
There were many fife and drum bands at the time
In a Micho Russell related context: I have done some leg work in Clare with regard to photographs for the late Bill Ochs' book on Micho, one absolutely wonderful 1920s or so original print of the Kilfenora fifeband came through my hands for scanning. Wonderful stuff, the past is indeed a country where they did things differently.

Apologies for going off topic, by the way.
My brain hurts

Emrys

Post by Emrys »

One of the things I'm finding is that flute makers (for bamboo and Bansuri flutes) recommend all kinds of different things, in terms of oiling. Some say oil inside only, or oil outside only, or don't oil at all, or oiling it improves the tone, or oiling it ruins the tone. Jeesh! I get it that it may depend on the way they've finished the flute... but this makes it very hard to know what is the best thing to do to preserve my flutes!

Suggestions?
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

One flutemaker recommended me 'benign neglect'. Probably a good choice.
My brain hurts

bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Mr.Gumby wrote:One flutemaker recommended me 'benign neglect'. Probably a good choice.
Agreed. I've had a couple of bamboo flutes here (one from Chris Dawson and three or four Balinese bamboo flutes) for decades and have never oiled them at all; they're as good as the day they were made. I also had an Olwell C bamboo flute that I never oiled. I never oil my wooden flutes either, except for the first few months after purchase.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Me too. Sometimes, especially with boxwood flutes I think, it helps.
The stuff about oiling flutes is like voodoo--no two people give the
same advice.
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Thanks, good to hear. Because I now have 6 new bamboo flutes and need to make a decision what to do about oiling/not oiling them. My experience as well is that NOT oiling them has worked out just fine. In fact, for all the conversation about bamboo flutes cracking, I've NEVER had one crack even the smallest bit. And, having spent 22 years in Texas, living without AC and with a woodstove, I've subjected these wonderful flutes to a huge range of temperatures. My piano, on the other hand, has suffered mightely. The flutes are just fine.
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"