How to strengthen Low D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rusco
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How to strengthen Low D

Post by Rusco »

Thanks again, it's coming along, just a bit slower than I'd like.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The thing I found most helpful was short tones. It's kind of like interrupted long tones. Just give a quick puff, no tonguing or glottal, and try to get a good tone as quickly as possible. As with long tones, move the flute around and experiment with your embouchure to get the strongest immediate tone.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think you'll find the pratten plus a bit of patience really helps.
Hup

Post by Hup »

Not all flutes have the capacity for a strong D, depite all your best efforts.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hup wrote:Not all flutes have the capacity for a strong D, depite all your best efforts.
Well, to be perfectly honest, not all players have the embouchure capacity for a strong (Low D), despite all their efforts.

With a well known maker, the problem usually lies with the player, and not the flute, unless there is an air leak from either a tenon, key, or crack. It takes a while for some to achieve the ability to blow a hard low D, and for others it is nearly a futile pursuit on some flutes especially, which require more focus than they are capable of doing.

Keep at it, and magically it just may happen for you when you least expect it.

PS Do a search here-there has been much written before about this.
~~~~
Barry
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

In my experience, creating a hard low D occurs when I have the right concept of the airflow in the flute and tone production. The Irish flute tone is a blasting tone, i.e. I concentrate on/visualize/conceptualize the air going in the flute as I blow closer to the bottom of the embouchure hole, having the air circulate down in flute and come back out through the top part of the embouchure hole.

For the low D, it's important not to try push the air flow all the way through the flute, from the blow hole through the hole at the bottom. What's important is to have the air go what seems about half way through the flute (it's different for each flute) then circulate back up and blast out the embouchure hole. Because of the simple system's conical, tapering body shape, the circulation of air and blasting back out the top occurs naturally.

Another key factor with Irish flute tone, especially the low D, is finding the the OPTIMAL amount of air to blow in the flute for each note. In other words, do NOT blow harder, use more air, to try to make your tone harder. It's like playing a double reed instrument: not enough air, hardly any, if any, sound comes out; too much air can actually close the reed so no sound comes out; using just the right amount of air makes the best tone.
Rusco

Post by Rusco »

Thanks guys. I am working on long tones in the low register every day and it is helping a lot with my tone in general including hardening the D. Thanks for all the (mainly) positive comments. My flute is a G Somers Pratten and I don't believe in can't!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Rusco wrote:Thanks guys. I am working on long tones in the low register every day and it is helping a lot with my tone in general including hardening the D. Thanks for all the (mainly) positive comments. My flute is a G Somers Pratten and I don't believe in can't!
Good, with that attitude, you will no doubt get there-it mainly just takes time to get there and discovering new ways to blow (direction and focus) until it happens.

My negative comment about some flute players not being able to get the hard low D was meant for those who say certain flutes are not capable of it-and to whom that was directed, not you. Good flute makers don't put flutes out there that aren't capable of playing well, 99.9% of the time. When it seems that is true to the player-it's either a crack, air leak, or most likely, how they are blowing.

Keep at it-and it will happen. Have a blast!
~~~~
Barry
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

Off topic, but a personal observation...

On a couple of photography forums that I frequent about half way down the first page this discussion would have degenerated into a "Pratten vs. Rudall" (read: Nikon vs. Canon) or a "you can't be serious, nobody does it that way, how the hell could you possibly suggest that" sorta thing.

The truly thoughtful suggestions, exercises, resources and things to try offered by all of you is really refreshing. :thumbsup:

This is without doubt the best collection of gentlepersons anywhere on the internet...I'd love to buy you all a pint (oh wait, I'm retiring after this semester, I'd better not...sorry).

JD
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

Hello! Been off on other things for a while but still tootling away on my M&E keyless ... I've found that my low notes get better when I "harden" my upper lip for want of another way of putting it. When I get higher, I pout out my upper lip a titch more, and stiffen it so it's tougher and "harder" when I go low, holding it more tightly and stiffly against my upper teeth. I've found that that helps tremendously.

Nice to be back. :-)
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

One comment about the Boehm flute someone mentioned earlier in the thread - if you have leaking keys then take it to someone to fix it. Either new pads, or more often just readjustment of the mechanism. There is no point playing it if it isn't working. If the GSharp hole is leaking on the low D then it will be leaking on many other places (notes). Life is too short to mess with that sort of poor result for your valuable effort in trying to play it. If money is an issue then you could try to readjust the mechanism yourself. If it is only one pad (e.g. torn...) then that too could be replaced by yourself. Often a leaking pad on a mechanical system can be a spring which has got too weak and can be strengthened with a bit of judicious bending or even replacing.

The low notes on the flute are the ones that involve the most flute and so also have the highest chances of involving the sections with leaks - if there are any. So that is why people often say check for leaks when looking for a strong low D. Leaks can either destroy the resonance (no, or weak sound) or - if in the right place - by selectively killing off the lower harmonics, force the note up into higher harmonics (jumping out of the lower register...).
Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

Experiment with your flute. Spend time getting to know it, try different configurations of rotation of the different sections, and just keep blowing! When I first took delivery of my Grinter, I could get a better tone out of my M&E polymer, because I was so used to that embrochure. Fast forward a few hundred hours, and I've now found that for me, I can get the best tone when I rotate the embrochure away from the centre line of the flute slightly, rather than towards me, the way most people might. Incidentally, most other people who pick up my flute can't get anything below about a G out of it the way I have it set up, so it all comes down to each person and each flute. The other thing that I will say is that proper breathing techniques are very important, make sure you use your diaphragm!! Have fun with it!
Rusco

Post by Rusco »

Thanks a lot for all your advice guys. It's coming on well.
kildarekonga
Tell us something.: The Best Trad Flute Playlist in the World, Probably
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x4lHZhpaND

Post by kildarekonga »

Rusco wrote:That's useful Gromit thanks. I have been kind of doing this. I turn my head joint in a bit and I am blowing down. I will experiment further, at the moment I just don't seem to get enough power. If I descend from, for example, F# through E to D it is quite a bit better than if I just hit the D.
I was wondering about turning the head joint in a bit. I've been doing that for 25 years but wonder is just me?
wolftune

Post by wolftune »

One thing to consider to be sure it's not the issue - check that your c# and b hole fingers are completely covering the holes. The tiniest amount of air escaping can cause havoc on the low e and d notes while having less effect on the F#, G, and A notes (thus "hiding" the issue). It's possible that could explain that descending works better - maybe you are putting more focus on covering all of those notes that way as opposed to dropping all your fingers down at the same time.

I was having issues with a low D on one of my flutes. I realized that I was leaving a minuscule gap on my c# finger, which was weakening the low d and making it easily pop up to the middle D. You can test it by pulling a low D and then very carefully pulling back/up your first and/or second finger on your left hand and hear the effect. Then push it back hard and get it back down to the low register.

In my case, I put a little almond oil on my finger pads and pushed harder to test it and it fixed the weak low D. I think some wear and tear on my finger pads from hours of digging actually was letting air through.

Worth a shot to check it out, in any case.