Looking for a flute in the key of G

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LynT
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello! Im in the market for a flute in the key of G. I want to join the community for talking toThank you!

Looking for a flute in the key of G

Post by LynT »

Hello everybody! I'm a long time lurker.

I have been playing a Dixon 2 piece plastic flute in G for about a year. I'm in the market to replace it with a wood or delrin flute in G. Can anyone give some guidance? My budget is around $300.

I have also been playing a Dixon piccolo in D. I have been looking at a Sweet, but they call it a fife and my impression of fifes is a bit negative. The whole blistering volume thing wont fly because i live in an apartment.

Thanks for your help!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Looking for a flute in the key of G

Post by Loren »

The Copley 3 piece Delrin without rings is $335. http://www.copleyflutes.com/catalog.html Great flutes, you'll never need to upgrade again.
LynT
Tell us something.: Hello! Im in the market for a flute in the key of G. I want to join the community for talking toThank you!

Post by LynT »

Thank you for the help. But, the only delrin G i can see on the website is over $700.
LynT

Post by LynT »

I found it!
LynT

Post by LynT »

Anyone have thoughts about the piccolo I mentioned? Or opinions about fife vs piccolo? Are they the same thing?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Another option for a flute in G, about 220 dollars I think, is the Sweetheart G flute. I have one of
these in rosewood and it is very good.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Also I would like to try a Billy Miller bamboo G flute. I have one of these in Bb and it
is very good and works fine for ITM and the other stuff I play, IMO. Under 100 dollars.
I think these perform as well as much more expensive flutes.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Phil Bleazey in England offers a flute in G at £240, again somewhat above your listed threshold, but a wooden instrument in this case.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Traditionally a Fife has a narrow cylindrical bore is keyless and is designed to favour the second and third octave. The first is rarely used.
A simple system piccolo is an octave higher than a flute with one or more keys (originally though keyless are now made) using the first octave.

There are grey areas such as Jem's piccolo and the Dixon with a cylindrical bore and I've read of at least one Olwell cylindrical bore high d instrument, and Ralph's old Renaissance piccolo. These are made to play in the lower octave as well.

And Sweets folk fifes which are conical bored and are really small flutes.

Also adding to the confusion is some folk call Bb band conical flutes (erroneously) fifes.

See the link in my signature for more than you ever wanted to know about the piccolo in Irish music , including current makers and recorded eBay prices of antiques.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I would also suggest looking into bamboo flutes in G. I have one of those by Chris Dawson (Rhiannon flutes); I don't think he's making flutes anymore, but it's a really nice flute with a strong tone. Of course the main problem is that you don't have any way to tune it; people will have to tune to you if you're playing with others.
LynT

Post by LynT »

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions! For the G flute i will probably go with the Copely. The Sweetheart looks really nice and i love the look of wood, but the Delrin is alost maintenance free.

Dunnp, thanks for the link. Terrific resourse. I'm still on the fence about it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A quick note. FWIW, the Sweetheart flutes are soaked for a long time in tung oil, which makes them impervious to moisture.
They are virtually maintenance free.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Forgive my wonky timing on this old clip.
But I really miss this old Sweet G I had.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bCNri60vX10
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I purchased a couple of wooden G flutes from English maker Tony Millyard who makes very good quality and easy to play flutes.
This clip is 4 years old now but the flutes are very reasonably priced at £290
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue_zQd93Q_I
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
LynT

Post by LynT »

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I ordered a Copley in G. Still looking for an affordable piccolo. One maker is selling one for $600. Just about double my piccolo budget. :lol: His pics are beautiful. Im sure his flutes are top notch for those who can afford them!

I did find out that Casey Burns will make you a flute in G or F if you ask nicely. I see an F in my near future.