Ned Coleman

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ned Coleman

Post by kenr »

Just been informed that Kylebrack flute player Ned Coleman died in early December. Funeral was last week on the 12th.

Ned was a very generous man and a fine musician who made an English visitor to the Hill in Kylebrack feel very welcome in the days when he used to play there with Charlie Harris.

Ned was an all Ireland champion back in the 50s and played in the Leitrim Ceili Band led by a very young Joe Burke. Later he recorded a couple of casettes with Pat McMahon. In the last few years of his life health problems meant he no longer played but we still saw him here and there where music was being played.

He may not be famous but he was one of that great band of musicians who kept the music alive week in, week out and I'd like to pay tribute to an unsung hero.

A few picture and some more background on Ned can be found on this local Comhaltas page:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~kilnadeemac ... oleman.htm

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anam.

Ken
jim stone

Re: Ned Coleman

Post by jim stone »

well said
Jim Troy
antispam: No

Post by Jim Troy »

Very sorry to hear that he'd died.
He always had a great rec for me, when I'd get to the session, once a month.
I have the cd of his, with the band, which he gave me a couple of years ago, great stuff, his flute being the strongest on the recording.
Good on ya, Ned, Míle Buíochas, R.I.P.
Ar dheis Dé, go raibh a anam.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MarkP »

Lovely sentiment Ken, well expressed, RIP Ned
Mark