Flute suggestions for a wee beginner

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Flute suggestions for a wee beginner

Post by plunk111 »

Good point on the hand-size issue, chas! Dave Copley makes a superb F-flute, too! :)

The only problem with one of the other keys is that playing in a group may be problematic at present and may also train the ear/finger connections in a way that may make it a little more difficult when he wants to play on a D later. Probably a minor problem, but...

Maybe a good idea would be to start on a decent high-D whistle? Just a thought... Jerry Freeman's whistles come to mind...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

As we all get into our "recommend our favorite flute maker" mode, I'd support the suggestion of Dave Copley for a great starter (and well beyond) delrin instrument or Walt Sweet's Shannon, also delrin and at $275 is about the least expensive, good-sounding flute available in the US. (And I'm just guessing that the OP is in the US, if not, what Lorenzoflute said...)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Take a look at Garry Somers 5 piece delrin flute in D with metal tuning slide. These are great flutes, Garry is wonderful to work with, a genuinely nice person, and the price is really affordable. To the best of my knowledge there is no waiting list. IMHO you would have to go a long way to beat his delrin flutes, especially for the price.
megapop

Post by megapop »

plunk111 wrote:Maybe a good idea would be to start on a decent high-D whistle? Just a thought... Jerry Freeman's whistles come to mind...
joeryan wrote:My son, who is 10, plays the whistle but is thinking about taking up the flute so he can join a local ceili band. (Apparently they have enough whistlers.)
;)
return null;
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Oops - long thread and forgot the beginning! My bad...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
joeryan

Post by joeryan »

All --

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

Best,

Joe
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Joe: I just wanted to say that I think it's really cool that you're assisting your 10 year old son with his interest in music and ITM. Cheers, Don.
sarton

Post by sarton »

After the criticism of Steve Bliven and plunk111, I hesitate to come back to my earlier contribution.
I am convinced that there are excellent flute makers of name, which make excellent flutes, but I also believe that for a 10-year old starter a much cheaper instrument from a less famous maker will do as well, at least for the time being.

You do not buy A Steinway for a starting youg pianist do you?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

sarton wrote:You do not buy A Steinway for a starting young pianist do you?
No. But you also do not buy them a piano that is literally unplayable. :wink: And the flutes you linked to earlier are, unfortunately, likely to be exactly that.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
sarton

Post by sarton »

likely or surely?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

More than likely?
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

sarton wrote:After the criticism of Steve Bliven and plunk111, I hesitate to come back to my earlier contribution.
I am convinced that there are excellent flute makers of name, which make excellent flutes, but I also believe that for a 10-year old starter a much cheaper instrument from a less famous maker will do as well, at least for the time being.

You do not buy A Steinway for a starting youg pianist do you?
I understand the concern for cost of an instrument for a youngster. However, a "cheapo" may, as has been suggested, cause more harm to his playing than good. When I was a kid I started on a $13 Stella guitar. Blistered my fingers with the high action and I never could get it in tune. Took years to get past that and buy a decent guitar which allowed the progress to be limited by my skills rather than the faults of the instrument.

And, you'll see by looking at the various FS/FT items on the Forum, one of the lower cost, quality instruments (in the ~$300 range) will hold its resale value if the lad doesn't take to fluting. One of the E-Bay FSOs won't.

But them's just my thoughts on the matter...

Best wishes.

Diplomatic Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
sarton

Post by sarton »

Thanks Steve!
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

Great suggestions so far. Copley and Sommers both make excellent delrin flutes. If finger size and stretch are an issue (10 years old, yes?), then one of Casy Burns folk flutes in the small hand version would also be a great choice, if a bit more pricey. I don't know if other makers in the sub $500 range have this as an option.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Perhaps there is a flute player in the Ceili band that can advise and mentor the youngster. Best situation would be to put a few flutes in the young man's hands and see what works. I think a good recommendation really depends on how "wee" the young man's hands are at this point.

I like the Somers flutes and the Copley flutes as well. I own and play flutes from both makers. They have both been too large for some small hands I have presented them too.

I have owned the Copley "small hands" flute and it is not much different from the normal Copley models which I also own. Only one hole is downsized which brings RH2 and RH3 slightly closer together. So a Copley may be still a stretch for the young man.

My Somers flute is surely sized for adult hands but it is the Pratten style flute. I have not owned the Rudall style though. So I don't know about that one.

For young, small handed players I usually try one of the Tony Dixon three piece delrin flutes (no, not the thin walled poly models) in their hands and see if they can handle that. That and perhaps the Walt Sweet flute have some of the friendliest hole layouts I've seen. While the Dixon may not be the best flute overall or a "flute for life" that a Copley may be, it is one flute I have had good luck starting small hand players out on. They will definitely out grow it eventually. But it is a much better purchase than one of those other flute-like-objects. We've seen too many folks take that route with the same inevitable and disappointing results. The Dixon is in comparison very playable. It does have a smallish embouchure hole (the current cut is better than older Dixons IMO). If a youngster can come to terms with the Dixon embouchure they will be able to play any other flute they move on to. The Dixon has smallish holes, and a rather friendly stretch as a result. It has a smallish bore and with the short foot it is lightweight as well which can matter to a young player. It is also kid friendly because it is delrin. You can play it in a hot tub if you like. They can take a lot of abuse. There's little that can harm it. Of course that's pretty much the same with other delrin flutes. So no worries. And they are relatively inexpensive, well less than $300 brand new most places. Second-hand examples can be real bargains. Once they can handle the Dixon with no stress on the hands then I would then try something like a Copley out.

If the child can't handle the Dixon I'd look for an F flute or maybe a Bb band flute - the appropriateness of those keys would depend on his Ceili band.

The old style M&E original polymer flute was also a decent starter flute for young hands but it is considerably heavier than the Dixon. It has a fairly friendly hole pattern. The M&E Rudall can be a real stretch for a young player's hands IMO. And my M&E Rudall, with the big rings, is the heaviest flute I own, might feel like weight lifting to a 10 year old..

And on another note, I started out on a $13 dollar Stella guitar. :boggle: It served me well. No complaints, no regrets. I learned everything I needed to learn on it. The blisters were a badge of honor and the callouses I developed on that guitar are still with me and doing their job a half century later.

Just my thoughts.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.