Rediscovering the flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
de Salier
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Rediscovering the flute

Post by de Salier »

Hello all,

I have always loved music, played the piano and a recorder when I was young. More then 10 years ago I had a shot at playing the flute (more of a revenge action then passion), but it did not work out, did not have the patience to go through all the exercises, and the flute ended up somewhere behind a lot of other things.

About half a year ago I started playing the whistle, which revived my passion for music, and that's when I thought about the flute that I had somewhere...
...found it, and at first thought about selling it, to finance more whistles, but now I have decided to keep it and give it another go.

I have produced far more sound in the last 10 minutes then I did in that year 10 years ago. So I quite enjoy it.

The flute I am using is the one I got from the School 10 years ago, I believe it is a Yamaha 211. Not brilliant, but fits me for the time to come.

It has been gathering dust for the last 10 years, so might need some cleaning. How should I clean a flute like that? There are some black oxidation stains on it.

And should the rubber seals (that close the holes) be replaced after all this time?

Cheers,
Erwin
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Rediscovering the flute

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey Erwin,

I say play what you have and if you are enjoying it, all the better. When finances allow, there's nothing to beat the simple system conical flute for that reedy tone, but that can come later.

I started on the low whistle, moved fairly quicikly to simple system (keyless) flute, and then bought a Boehm later on, just to have all those keys and notes available when I wanted them. To get an equivalent simple system flute, it costs much more because they are not mass produced like the Boehms.

At this point I play more low whistle than flute, but I still like them and have both types of flute for when I am so inclined. It's harder to sound Irish on the Boehm, but with some work it can be done. But serious devotees of ITM will settle for nothing less than the keyless or keyed simple system (some call Irish or even concert, which is a fully keyed wooden) flute.

Name your poison, and have at it.

I imagine there are others here who could clue you in on the best cleaning and maintenance of your Yamaha 211. Hope they post their suggestions, but if not, there are other forums dedicated to the silver flute world.

Love your avatar! I always fly by the seat of my pants!
~~~~
Barry
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The pads generally only need replacing if there are leaks, but it would be worth taking it to your local music shop for a routine clean-oil-adjust. It'll be money well spent--nothing more frustrating than an out of adjustment Boehm flute. Enjoy!
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Hi Erwin: the Yamaha 211 is a good student flute, in my opinion. TinTin's advice is right on. As for cleaning the silver flute, I've used a product that does a good job and won't damage the metal. That product is called Flitz and is easily found in the states, don't know about Scotland. It not only cleans well, but offers some anti-corrosion protection. Flitz is manufactured in the USA by Flitz International Ltd, Waterford,WI 53185. And, no I'm not a Flitz sales rep., I only have used their product with good results. Couple of suggestions, if you don't mind. After playing, for even brief periods, always swab out the moisture from inside the flute. Your 211 most likely came with a metal cleaning rod, I put mine aside and bought a wooden cleaning rod from my local music store, they are cheap enough and I always had thoughts of the metal rod possibly scratching the inside of the flute. Moisture in your metal flute isn't your friend as it can lead to pitting. My second bit of advice is to find a good flute tutor. While a good teacher adds cost, I think in the long run, you end up saving big time.

Over the yeas, I've shifted away from the silver flute in favor of the wooden flute (simple system flute) for a variety of reasons. At any rate, take your flute to a good flute tech. for cleaning, oiling of the keys, replacing the pads if needed, etc. Most of all, I hope you enjoy learning and playing.