Olwell Pratten Owners.....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

RO3B,

Again, I didn't assume that Patrick made a mistake, I allowed for the possibility (which is not the same thing) and, because I find flutes marvelous and interesting, I was curious about the apparent difference.

When I bought my flute, Patrick didn't mention anything about not sharing information about the flute with others, publicly or privately, which is a far cry from the agreement you make when buying software.

I like and respect Patrick, I love his flutes, I wouldn't like to be at odds with him, and had I thought this was a big deal to him, or anyone else, I would have dealt with it differently. However, I was just following a precedent that's long established here, and didn't expect any problems for that reason.

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2003-02-03 15:01 ]</font>
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

I think that this is getting so long because most of us have no clue what goes into making a good flute.
In a way I think this discussion is insulting to the makers, as if the secret to a good flute lies in the hole size and spacing.
I've made flutes and recorders, and believe me, that learning to make an instrument takes years of determination and thousands of dollars in tools.
The day that one can make good instruments consistently as good as the best of them, he's worthy of respect.
How he got there, if it was through travelling around the world measuring instruments in museums, or purchasing one good instrument, and learning what makes it work...
Hole sizes change slightly from flute to flute.
I really think we're taking this too far.
There was no disrespect or potential harm done to any maker.
Nothing but the outmost respect to anyone that bothers to put so much time and effort into making instruments that cost $1000, hell, I make a bookcase in a few days and make more money.
Being an accomplished maked takes so much, let's not reduce it to: tone hole size and spacing.
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Congratulations, everyone. We've just had a fine and spicy conversation for a change...and while a few barbs were tossed out there, we didn't lose anyone who got:

1)pissed off that others don't believe their precious opinions
2)asked to leave the board from Dale
3)listed on the FBI most wanted list for patent infringement of the SIMPLE FLUTE (pakistani? pakistani?)

Hope for more.
theweirdscotsman

Post by theweirdscotsman »

This certainly has been a very interesting discussion. I must say that I'm on the side of not posting measurements, but i know it really doesnt matter. I certainly doubt that patrick would mind either. However, it does just seem like people are sharing "secrets" that Mr. Olwell has worked on for years. I do also realize that like Dave C. said, trying to exactly copy it would yield a mediocre flute. Email might have been a better way to send these measurements though, so only olwell owners would see them.
Cheers, William

Post by Guest »

Yes, it was fun while it lasted. Lest you think I have gone away angry, or with that "p" verb you all seem to like, I will tell you that I can't play with you kids for a while--must go to work and make some more money. I know you'll miss me, and I will miss you. Mercy, Peace and Compassion.