Learning New Settings of Tunes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Learning New Settings of Tunes?

Post by gorjuswrex »

ImNotIrish wrote:
gorjuswrex wrote:
gorjuswrex wrote:Arbo

I think you gave Larry Nugent as the source of your setting.I don't know his setting so would you say your setting of it 1/ resembles his ,or, 2/ is basically his setting? How closely did you pick out the tune?
Am I doing Larry and the music, a disservice by not learning it note by note , inflection by.... etc?
Arbo
I wouldn't think so. I hope you didn't think I was asking a pointed question since you didn't answer. Depending on your answer I may have had a answer that may have been a slight help. Now I don't.

IMHO it's down to the player. If it works for them. My opinion is like I said before,if the player has a good feel for ITM, and the musicality to make it work fire away. I think you are well down that road. Having said that I hope to be able to get the time and disipline to try to get as close as I can to some players performance of tunes. I'd say the first time I did this was recently with Josh's playing of the Fahy jig. I think it's a useful excerise for me. I would then change these tunes so they are no longer a copies. By flowing as closly players who you admire one may have to figure out aspects of their approach / technique which can then be included ones own playing. Others may find that a teadius approach, no problem.
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Learning New Settings of Tunes?

Post by gorjuswrex »

andyras3 wrote:
gorjuswrex wrote:

It’s like one of those emails but much less useful.

HELP

YOU WERE WARNED.

Have a peaceful sleep tonight.
Hi Kevin LOL I thought that was a real thread stopper :)
Almost knocked it fully dead but it's getting back up.
:o