Touring flute in Europe

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

claudine wrote:Can anyone tell me where the tour flute is right now? Jon said he put my name on the list. Is it possible to know when I can expect to get it?
Sorry for the delay Claudine, there are quite a few on the list... It is still floating around Sweden, Marcus has it now, I wanted to knock off everyone on the list up there before it left Sweden. Hopefully it will come back your way in about a month? It is out of control... :boggle:
I have another flute that is coming the other direction up fronm Ireland to England, then Scotland, then maybe up through Spain and who knows where that will end up... :o
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

hi Jon. What kind is the other flute? And do you have a website with details about the flutes you make? And HAPPY NEW YEAR! :party:
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

claudine wrote:hi Jon. What kind is the other flute? And do you have a website with details about the flutes you make? And HAPPY NEW YEAR! :party:
I don't have a website... Just email me for details.
The other traveling flute is a R&R in Blackwood. It might be a little less allergic for you...
And Happy New Year to you too! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Sylvester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sylvester »

from Ireland to England, then Scotland, then maybe up through Spain and who knows where that will end up...
Maybe Spain? :swear:

I seem to be the last on the list. Well...if there's no one else who send the flute to... :D

Cheerio
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Sylvester wrote:
from Ireland to England, then Scotland, then maybe up through Spain and who knows where that will end up...

I seem to be the last on the list. Well...if there's no one else who send the flute to... :D

Cheerio
:oops:
Michael Flatley

Jon
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

:party:
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!

I have had Jon’s Cocobolo R&R here for little more than a week now and just shipped it off to the next man on the list (aka, Pekkos).

Thanks for sending this flute out on a tour Jon. It was a real treat to have the opportunity to play this lovely flute for a few days.

When I first got it out of the box and put it together (BTW Jon, it was very well packaged and will survive both earthquakes and tsunamis) and played the first tune --> I just went WOW! :thumbsup:

What a nice flute it is. It is a very easy player with a colorful vibrating lower register. The craftsmanship is great and it made a very solid impression. As Henke mentioned previosly, I too enjoyed all the nice little details, gave the feeling that the maker spent a lot of time to complete the flute.
After a few days of playing and comparison to my M&E, I grow quite fond of your flute Jon. In many ways this flute reminded me of Ojvoj’s Murray that I have played a few times and always considered to be among the top three on my whish list. The only downside I could think of is that I had some trouble to get the higher notes of the upper octave as crisp and clean as I wanted. Being a mediocre intermediate player this is however more likely to related to my own technique and not the flute. And I think that I would have been able to adjust my embouchure better after spending a few more hours with it.

I can highly recommend Jon’s flutes. And considering the price, I don’t think one can find a better deal for a beginning or intermediate flute player, especially if you live in the US. It would be very interesting to hear comments on Jon’s flutes by more experienced players with higher standards.

Thanks again Jon!

Cheers,

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Jon C. wrote:
Sylvester wrote:

Cheerio

Oh, and didn't we talk about Norway too, Jon :cry:

Eivind
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Eivind wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
Sylvester wrote: Maybe Spain? :swear:

Cheerio

Oh, and didn't we talk about Norway too, Jon :cry:

Eivind
Your on the list. How could I forget Norway! :D
Michael Flatley

Jon
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Hi Jon

The flute arrived from Blayne about ten minutes ago, i've sent you a PM.

Thanks

:D

?
Eivind

da Flute

Post by Eivind »

Hi all,
just wanted to add a comment on the flute, which I had the opportunity to try out for a week or so. I should add, that by some cosmic act of chance, it arrived just days before I got my own first wooden flute in the mail... This is an expensive flute, made by a maker highly respected and much praised in these forae. So, I got to try them head to head :party:

I find myself strangely agreeing to most of the things that MarcusR say about the flute:
+ it has a nice "vibrant" low end
+ a full tone, yet kind of dry and slightly chiffed.
+ it looks very nice
+ it probably would have been better starting with this one than a Seery,
although I have grown to love my Seery. And it is good exercise :-)

On the minus side, I found intonation to be the weakest side on this flute.
The scale seemed allright, and there were no notes standing out as particularly off (as would often Cnat or C#), but overall there were slight inaccuracies.
But, I should add that:
- I, too, am a mediocre player and probably would have gotten around this with some more time and effort.
- I compared this to a flute costing a lot more.

I had no problems with the top notes, although they would necessary "loose some weight" compared to the bottom.

All in all, a thumbs up for this instrument and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Cheers,
Eivind
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Re: da Flute

Post by Jonathan »

In my humble opinion, this isn't quite fair. You said that your main (first?) flute is a Seery, which is a very different beast than a Rudall type flute. Embouchure is different, the way you need to blow it is different, everything is different. How long did you play this flute? Even that probably doesn't matter considering that you were switching back and forth between instruments. Knowing that Jon is making great flutes (good enough for Catherine McEvoy to take one home yes? :o ), I'd be willing to bet that if you played his flute for a while and really got to know it, you'd have no complaints regarding intonation. Just my thoughts! :)
Eivind wrote:On the minus side, I found intonation to be the weakest side on this flute.
The scale seemed allright, and there were no notes standing out as particularly off (as would often Cnat or C#), but overall there were slight inaccuracies.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I have had Jon's flute for a few days now. As I am very afraid of developing an allergy to the cocobolo wood, I have not played it much. But this is what I think about it:
- very easy to play from low D up to G in the 3rd octave
- good volume
- very good tuning (of course no flute is perfectly in tune, you have to blow it into tune)
- nice looks
- I did not really like the tone, difficult to describe. It's not clear enough for my taste, too airy. But as I play Pratten flutes usually, and as I have played this flute only for a few days, I'm certainly not qualified to judge the tone. And after all, this is just a matter of taste.

Thanks Jon for allowing me to try your flute. In a few days I will send it to Peter in Denmark.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

claudine wrote: <snip>
- I did not really like the tone, difficult to describe. It's not clear enough for my taste, too airy. But as I play Pratten flutes usually, and as I have played this flute only for a few days, I'm certainly not qualified to judge the tone. And after all, this is just a matter of taste.
Claudine, I think you're a more experienced player than I am, but I had the same issue with my own Jon C Rudall at first - the tone seemed airy and unclear.

But the issue was my embouchure - as I started to adjust it, the tone became much more clear and focussed, and the airy quality went away. It's still a come-and-go proposition for me; the Rudall embouchure is quite a bit more demanding than that for my Burns FF. But when I do things right I get a very focussed, sweet tone, especially in the upper register.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

DCrom wrote:
claudine wrote: <snip>
Claudine, I think you're a more experienced player than I am, but I had the same issue with my own Jon C Rudall at first - the tone seemed airy and unclear.

But the issue was my embouchure - as I started to adjust it, the tone became much more clear and focussed, and the airy quality went away. It's still a come-and-go proposition for me; the Rudall embouchure is quite a bit more demanding than that for my Burns FF. But when I do things right I get a very focussed, sweet tone, especially in the upper register.
I have a small-holed german flute with a headjoint by Jon C. As much as I loved the headjoint, I was finding the tone to be too airy and fuzzy. Well, some experimentation later, lo and behold it turns out I was blowing too hard. I agree with advice I recently read somewhere on this board... Don't think of blowing into the flute, but breathing into it.
William Bajzek