What is the sweetest flute ever ??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was going to say the shakuhachi, but I have never heard a harsh note come from a McChud improved holeless model.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If some of this seems frivolous, Dunno, it is because many people believe that a good flute is rather flexible and can sound as harsh and sweet as the player wants. At very high levels of skill the difference may be apparent, but I am not to that point and many other people could make my flute sing better than I can.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri May 18, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I.D.10-t wrote:I was going to say the shakuhachi, but I have never heard a harsh note come from a McChud improved holeless model.
...nor a sweet note, either! :lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

there's a reason why good original boxwood Rudall/Rose flutes command such high prices.

:wink:
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Thanks for all replies. Im not looking for baroque flute.

I've heard many people talking about player vs flute before, but i believe there are some flutes were made to have nature sweet or complex dark sound. Since im not a good player and prefer sweet sound, i'd better look for nature sweet one, i think.

Now i should go after a flute with small tone holes, boxwood and good maker, shouldnt i ?

BTW, anyone know if Olwell charge more for boxwood ? as i remember, CB asks for $300 more for quality boxwood :sniffle:
eilam

Post by eilam »

Aanvil wrote:
rama wrote:
eilam wrote: yes rich, with the led keys !!

with narobi barnacle key pads

Dude! Now THATS sweet!
i hear nothing but good about his Oleander model, led keys and lip plate of coarse
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Dunno wrote: Now i should go after a flute with small tone holes, boxwood and good maker, shouldnt i ?

BTW, anyone know if Olwell charge more for boxwood ? as i remember, CB asks for $300 more for quality boxwood :sniffle:
Last I knew Patrick charges $100 more for boxwood. Casey charges $300 for curly boxwood, but not for regular old boxwood. Not sure if he has a surcharge for that or not.

I think an Olwell all-wood boxwood flute is still under $1000. That's a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Just from my experience, (a Rambling post if you will)
I had a Lehart 6 key flute (before that a bad Ganley flute) that was sat on and the repaired and then fell a part from the humidity again (glue didn't hold). I played this flute for three years before the break and three years after (Repaired). WHen it came apart due to high humidity I needed a new flute for my seven night a week gig.
I bought an Olwell keyless boxwood Nicholson all wood. Both were are great flutes. Because I had played the other flute for so long when I got the Olwell I thought sh*t what's all the buzz. It's nice and easy but not as sharp (cutting focused whatever) or in tune as the Lehart and my mates in the band complained about tuning.
Though I have been playing for while and thought I knew how to play in tune. I needed to rethink my playing for the Olwell flute which I play now. I could have been sweeter on the large holed lehart because I knew it and how it responded> I play the Olwell now because it's in good nick has smaller hole spacing between the left hand.
My Lehart had an almost diamond shaped embuochre cut. I guess I always blew across the right edge. On my olwell (much easier to fill flute) I still blow across the right edge. I can acheive the tone I want on both flutes now (after a 8 months I have beeen playing for 14 years). THe Olwell boxwwod needs warming up in order to play it as sweetly (second octave clarity, control of dymanmics). I also play an old eight key with small holes several other small holed flutes in other keys. You get the tone you want out of experience.
If a few days after getting the Olwell all boxwood someone asked me about sweetness I would have said not possible this flute needs to be played with gusto compared to my beloved Lehart is a much louder machine. Now I feel I can play the Olwell better ( range of dynamics though I still think the Lehart had better tuning)
Anyway lesson is play on anything you can until you can really decide what you like and can produce in tone?)
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Since the conciseness seems to be that small holed and small bore flutes sound sweet, would Peter Noy's small holed flute that cross fingers easily qualify as a sweet sounding flute that has the added benefit of being almost fully chromatic?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personally, I think that embouchure cut is the most important factor. Hacking out a boxcar shaped hole is great for a loud inflexible flute, but a round hole forces good technique and has real personality. If I ever get a chance to play an elliptical embouchure, I am sure that I would have a positive experience too.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

dunnp wrote:THe Olwell boxwwod needs warming up in order to play it as sweetly (second octave clarity, control of dymanmics).
My experience is boxwood always needs to be warmed up -- not temperature-wise, but moisture-wise. Box absorbs moisture much more than the rosewoods, especially blackwood and cocobolo. I suspect in the first half hour or so, some pores are closing up and such.
I.D.10-t wrote:Since the conciseness seems to be that small holed and small bore flutes sound sweet, would Peter Noy's small holed flute that cross fingers easily qualify as a sweet sounding flute that has the added benefit of being almost fully chromatic?
I find my Noy small-holed very sweet-sounding, and also very warm and mellow. It can be pushed pretty hard, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Forgive this beginner here, but I have heard people playing and some do sound sort of buzzy, some sound kind of honky, and some sound very smooth and creamy. Is this something the player does or the flute? If the flute, what is usually the characteristic that the flute has? Type of wood, size of holes?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: What is the sweetest flute ever ??

Post by Loren »

Dunno wrote:Hi there,

Im wondering, what make the sweetest simple system flute ever ?
It's either the one you have at the moment "It's a go to the grave keeper!!"

Or the next one you "Just have to have!!!", which you've just put that "Go to the grave keeper" up for sale to finance.

Repeat cycle ad nauseum.

Loren