Motovation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I am more or less with daiv: For me, the most motivating thing is improvement, so that there consistently becomes less and less of a barrier between my technical/musical deficiencies, and the music.

To that end, far and away the most motivating thing, for me, has been finding an excellent instructor: One who really has a good grasp of ITM, who plays the music with the right feel and flow, based on lots of experience. Someone who is technically proficient as a player, as well as being a very good teacher. I realize that people like this can, of course, be somewhat difficult to find outside of Ireland, but they are out there.

It really is amazing how much difference a good teacher can make with regards to learning to play this music WELL, but it's one of those things that you can't fully appreciate until you've worked with a really good instructor, and you've "seen the other side" so to speak.

It used to be a real struggle to "Force" myself to get through even 20 or 30 minutes of "structured" practice on the flute, although I'd play through tunes and noodle for quite some time. However, since finding the right teacher, I can barely put my flute down: 2 hours or more of practicing, per day, has become the norm for me now, and most of that I quite enjoy - certainly there are things that frustrate, but I now have the tools to work through those issues, and so the frustration is greatly lessened and progress is significantly hastened.

Having lived in an area where there was VERY little ITM, and now living in Boston, I can much more clearly see both sides of the situation here in the US. (Certainly I'll need to spend time in Ireland in the future, in order to have an even more complete picture and experience of ITM) From my current perspective though, I'd really highly recommend that anyone who's seriously interested in ITM, particularly if you're frustrated or feeling unmotivated, try to find a good ITM instructor within driving distance, even if we're talking a looooong drive. Obviously lessons on a weekly or bi-weekly basis are best, but even just one 2 hour lesson a month, with the right teacher, can give you plenty to work on and make huge differences in your playing, and therefore your enjoyment, of the music. That's the way it's worked for me anyway :)

Loren
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Loren wrote:...To that end, far and away the most motivating thing, for me, has been finding an excellent instructor: One who really has a good grasp of ITM, who plays the music with the right feel and flow, based on lots of experience. Someone who is technically proficient as a player, as well as being a very good teacher. I realize that people like this can, of course, be somewhat difficult to find outside of Ireland, but they are out there...

...I'd really highly recommend that anyone who's seriously interested in ITM, particularly if you're frustrated or feeling unmotivated, try to find a good ITM instructor within driving distance, even if we're talking a looooong drive. Obviously lessons on a weekly or bi-weekly basis are best, but even just one 2 hour lesson a month, with the right teacher, can give you plenty to work on and make huge differences in your playing, and therefore your enjoyment, of the music.
Man, that would be great. Not an option for me, though. I've looked a few times, and there just doesn't seem to be anyone within reasonable driving distance (especially with gas creeping up again) for me to get to. That would definitely increase my motivation, though, as well as helping me to develop some clear, concise goals and direction to my playing... something that's lacking at this point, other than "I'd like to play like that guy" :boggle:

Great words, Loren!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
doogieman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by doogieman »

I play because I love it - We all do!
Just make sure that each time you pick up your instrument you relax and feel the love - Experience the beauty. There are always the challenges - that bugger of a song with that thinger that's giving you trouble etc. - ya have to make time for that as well. That's part of real love anyway.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dow wrote:Man, that would be great. Not an option for me, though. I've looked a few times, and there just doesn't seem to be anyone within reasonable driving distance (especially with gas creeping up again) for me to get to. That would definitely increase my motivation, though, as well as helping me to develop some clear, concise goals and direction to my playing... something that's lacking at this point, other than "I'd like to play like that guy" :boggle:

Great words, Loren!
Off hand, I don't know of anyone who might be "hiding in plain sight" in your area, but perhaps someone else out there will see you post and PM you.

If not, I do have a suggestion, as a possible alternative for you, or others who may be in a similar situation:

For many years I taught the Martial Arts, first at my father's school, and then later at my own school. It was quite common for us to arrange seminars with highly regarded instructors from around the world: We would generate enough interest amoung our students, and in some cases students from other schools in the area as well, that we could sign enough students up to pay a famous instructor to come to town for a one or two day seminar.

Typically the school wouldn't make much, or any money on the deal, because after covering our promotional costs, and paying airfare, food and accomodations expenses for the visiting instructor, little remained of what we collected from the students who paid to attend the seminar. However, the perk for us, as the hosting instructors, was that the visiting instructor would work with us for a number of hours privately, essentially private lessons in a style different from our own, or at a higher level than we were currently at in a particular style/system. Most times we'd fly the instructor in late on a Thursday or early on a Friday. Then we'd get our private training on Friday afternoon/evening, with the public seminar being on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Most instructors enjoyed the travel, particularly if you live somewhere warm in the winter, or a place that is beautiful or unique in the warmer months.

I suspect, that with a little effort, it wouldn't be difficult, or terribly expensive to do the same with a good ITM instructor or two. I realize the format I mentioned above might not work where there are very few flute/whistles players, however another approach would be to consider getting 3-8 people together to spit the expenses to bring someone in for a day or two of long private lessons. If you time buying the plane ticket right, and have someone with a (nice) extra bedroom who can put the instructor up for a night or two, then you only have the instructor's fee, a $300. or so plane ticket, and what.....$50-$60 in food expenses? I should think that a half dozen or so people could get away with spending around $150. each (give or take a little) for a two hour lesson. With the right instructor and a recording device, plus the relationship you develop with that teacher (the ability to call or email with questions, and perhaps, for an additional occasional fee, the option of sending tapes back and forth), it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

(Just as a point of reference, I pay $50 and hour and travel 2 hours in each direction, for my lessons. The local big name ITM Mandolin/Guitar teacher charges $70 and hour, so $150. for a couple of hours of private instruction is right in the ball park.)

I realize that not many people will be motivated to try this approach, but I can tell you from LOTS of experience, it really isn't that difficult or time consuming to make happen. In addition, you get to spend quite a bit of extra time with the teacher you bring to town, which often proves to be an valuable learning experience in and of itself, as you'll often learn quite about about history and other non-technical experiences. Best of all, you often make long term friendships with some really wonderful people (both tearhers and students), and in the process you are strengthening your own local scene. All potentially huge positives, with very few negatives - you simply have to make certain you choose an instructor who has a good reputation as a teacher, and trackrecord of showing up, on time, and sober (don't laugh, it can happen.) Also, you have to make sure to collect the money from those who "commit" to participate PRIOR to buying the plane ticket, as people have a way of bailing at the last minute if they aren't already paid up in advance.

As they say "where there's a will there's a way"......

Loren
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Mostly 'cause it's fun :party:

I use to practice to seek out new tunes and build up my repertoire for sessions. I still do but not to the degree I have been.

At this point I would really like to improve my tone, endurance (Maintaining a good tone for a long period), and phrasing.

I have a distant goal, really more of a dream, of being able to walk into a session anywhere, with any caliber of player, play some tunes, and feel like I've contributed.

I also really enjoy performing in public, but do not have anything steady lined up. WHich is a good thing for the public.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

The best motivator for me to play is being unable to play.

Long trips (driving with both hands!), injuries, and hairy schedules all make me hunger for practice time. I don't know if it's the break, or the motivated listening I do during the breaks, but breakthroughs sometimes happen when I pick up the instrument again.

New instruments also motivate me to play 'til my face falls off, but I'm pretty sure that the instrument-switching does bad things for the finer points of musicianship. Versatility vs. nuance - it's an old debate.

I practice to build vocabulary so I can say things in music that I can't say any other way.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.