Grey Larsen and Playing Left-Handed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

If you've made progress, I would just keep going the way you are. Don't get sidetracked onto this issue. If you ever just have to have a keyed flute, or whatever, then you will be able to get one. And you can sell it. It may take longer and cost a bit more. But that is nothing compared to the fact that you've made progess the way you are playing now, which is not incorrect or uncommon apparently. Progress is harder to come by than left handed flutes or whatever they are (I don't play the flute obviously), it is not even possible to buy progress at all, so go with the way that feels comfortable to you. Don't interrupt your progress. Just don't worry about it any more.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
I am lefthanded, but play the flute righthanded. When I am cutting the embouchure, I check it left handed, incase it ends up being played that way. Holding the flute that way IS like turning my brain inside out... But if I had already made progress holding the flute lefthanded, I would continue to do so.
I think Gary Larson was just thinking of the hassle of trying to find a lefthanded 8 keyed flute. (I think Andrew has a nice antique one)...

For all you lefty's, here is a site with all the lefty tools you would ever need, (they have guitars but no flutes): :roll:
http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/club.html
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Re: Weird twist

Post by Unseen122 »

SoTX wrote:I second the notion that the usual way to play whistle (and by the same argument flute) is actually left-handed.
I totally agree with you. I am pretty sure Hammy charges 200 euro for a lefty Flute with or without keys so yes it is not cheap.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hmmm, I am right-handed and it came natural to me to use my right hand at the bottom and left hand on top---I guess this would be the right-handed way. It seems like my right ring finger has to work harder to reach the bottom hole, and I'm using my right thumb and pinkie to hold and balance the whistle---so my bottom hand is doing more and I guess that's why my right hand wanted to be down there.
domino
Tell us something.: Flute,
Traditional music of Ireland and Scotland
Friend of County Clare
Lover of the West Wind and all who sail in her

Post by domino »

Hammy only charges extra for keys and no surcharge for keyless. George Ormiston did not charge me any extra for left handed six keys.

Cheers
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I'm right handed and I play that way, but I like to turn my brain inside out occasionally by switching hands for a tune or two. Doesn't really work on my Casey Burns flutes, 'cause they're so very right hand oriented. But on whistles and my bamboo flutes and so forth, I think it's good for the brain. Makes me really use it. :boggle:
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I'm left-handed and play left handed sets of Highland pipes, smallpipes, and uilleann pipes, as well as a left-handed keyed Hamilton flute (which I found thanks to to Brad's site) and I play whistles left-handed. It just felt more comfortable and logical to me that way and I've never had trouble getting left-handed instruments made...Funny thing is, I play guitar and bass right handed...Probably would've been easier to have started out on a left-handed guitar, but there were never any around & I couldn't be bothered to buy one or turn the strings around...Then again, I'm not much of a guitarist...

The best advice is if you are new to the instrument, play in the way that is most comfortable for you. If you've been playing whistle left-handed for a while before starting flute, it's probably best to stick with playing left-handed rather than trying to re-wire your brain.

You do occasionally find people who play whistle left-handed, but switch hands when playing flute or pipes (Seamus Egan comes to mind...) and sound spectacular either way. Such people are possessed by the Devil.
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Mike McGoldrick plays left-handed.

:)
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Hornpiper wrote:Mike McGoldrick plays left-handed.

:)
As does Garry Shannon. Sheesh, just those two and Mrs. McEvoy are good enough company for me ;) (A lefty for everything except golf). I know there are a couple other notables I'm just not thinking of at the moment.

One, I've never had a problem sounding an instrument decently from the left, nor did the maker of my Flute (John Gallagher) charge any differently for my left-keyed flute. Chris Wilkes acknowledged it does make a noticable difference in constuction (embochure cutting I assume, since it's a keyless) when I placed a recent order with him, but again charges no extra for a left-handed set-up. I don't believe Pat Olwell does either.

Lefties unite!

Cheers,
- Ryan
mimcgann

Post by mimcgann »

I'm surprised nobody else has said this--or I'm not reading carefully--but I'm right-handed but play left-handed. When I first picked up the whistle I taught myself the basics from a book, but I did the ol' mirror image. By the time I started taking lesson, I felt set. I could have changed, but my teacher said that it was all right, perfectly acceptable, and had precedent, and wouldn't cause problems unless I had to deal with instruments that conformed to a right-handed hold or had keys.

It's true that the embouchure on a "regular" flute can be tricky, and forget about dodging around a keyed one. But, for the most part no problems. And, it does make interesting paring with other flute players--as long as you don't start dueling!

Mike
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Wormdiet wrote:I play [sic] GHB lefty.
Do you play with your drones on your right shoulder?
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:I play [sic] GHB lefty.
Do you play with your drones on your right shoulder?
Indeed. Did, rather - living in an apatment has reduced my piping drastically.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

There's a right-shoulder tradition on South Uist. There are some players with a South Uist connection who play right-shouldered even if they're right-handed.

Gary Shannon plays lefty but is right-handed according to the interview on Brad Hurley's site.

Cheers,
Aaron
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

This topic is timely for me right now (no pun intended) because I'm in the process of teaching 100 fourth graders to play the (gasp!) recorder in elementary music class. So many want to play with their right hand on top. I tell them that "Left hand rules!"--left hand goes on top. When they ask why, I say, "Well, you CAN play the recorder or the Irish whistle with either the left or right hand on top--it doesn't really matter. But if you ever take up Boehm flute, clarinet, saxophone, etc., it just won't work because of the keys. " There's always a certain percentage who just can't do it with the left hand on top. But they usually can get it with right hand on top.

I agree with the person above who said that on flute, both hands are necessary, so it's not really a left-handed or right-handed issue. But you certainly could not play the Boehm flute very comfortably lefthanded. I've never seen it.

Jeanie
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:You do occasionally find people who play whistle left-handed, but switch hands when playing flute or pipes (Seamus Egan comes to mind...) and sound spectacular either way. Such people are possessed by the Devil.
I know a man who plays the soprano D whistle lefty, and the low D righty; anchoring the instrument with his ring fingers, and covering tone holes with his pinkies. This man is, as you say, possesed by the devil. Most unusual.
Everyone likes music