Improving Flute Players

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Improving Flute Players

Post by ImNotIrish »

Some of us have started up a new group on Face Book called Improving Flute Players. It was created with the intention of being a place where players can post videos of themselves and receive feedback from others. We are not professionals, nor do we have the honed skills of a seasoned critic, but we are open to hearing and sharing thoughts about one anothers playing.
We are hoping people wont be shy... we'd like to hear your comments and your tunes.
Arbo
MarkP

Re: Improving Flute Players

Post by MarkP »

Hi

just to add that I set this up using the new Facebook small group function as part of a conversation with a handful of friends who sometimes share video clips of their own playng for comment. I wasn't initially offering to manage a massive open subscription group.

I'm happy to re-think it, but the way it is at the moment, any member of the existing small group (that's me, Ronnie, Dagmar, Arbo and a couple of Arbo's friends) can still invite individuals from their own Facebook friends to join in but I'd prefer to try it out that way first than deal with approving hundreds of requests. It certainly looks like a useful technology to facilitate one-to-one and small group learning (including live chat and discussions as well as video/audio/image posting and the usual asynchromous comment). I was thinking it would be a very easy way to reinstate some of the former functionality of "Whistle This", for those that remember it (e.g. with a set 'homework' tune for everyone to post on every couple of weeks).

Could we try out our little pilot project first, and assess how the technology and house rules might work, before we think about unlimited membership? With all due apologies, I've reset the group permissions to private/invisible (visible to those who are already in it) while we test it out... will let you know in a couple of weeks what we decide to do.

Cheers, Mark
Mark
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

I agree, better keep it this way Mark and see what it brings. I am going to introduce a Dutch fluter who was interested in what is going on. Let's see what happens :)
Cheers,
Ronnie
Daibhidh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Daibhidh »

Hey. Great plan. Feel free to invite me when you decide to increase your numbers. I'll basically be bringing Scottish tunes to the table as I'd like to do my music grades in the future and the requirement is Scottish music only.

Cheers
I may say song when I mean tune...
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

...or better, you could start your own Scottish tunes group? :wink:
Mark
Daibhidh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Daibhidh »

MarkP wrote:...or better, you could start your own Scottish tunes group? :wink:
I'm a sheep, not a shepherd. But will give it some thought.
I may say song when I mean tune...
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

got a link?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

find me on Facebook and I'll explain...
Mark
pkev

Post by pkev »

ImNotIrish wrote:Some of us have started up a new group on Face Book called Improving Flute Players. It was created with the intention of being a place where players can post videos of themselves and receive feedback from others. We are not professionals, nor do we have the honed skills of a seasoned critic, but we are open to hearing and sharing thoughts about one anothers playing.
We are hoping people wont be shy... we'd like to hear your comments and your tunes.
Arbo
Daibhidh wrote:Hey. Great plan. Feel free to invite me when you decide to increase your numbers. I'll basically be bringing Scottish tunes to the table as I'd like to do my music grades in the future and the requirement is Scottish music only.

Cheers
MarkP wrote:...or better, you could start your own Scottish tunes group? :wink:
Mark P wrote:
I was thinking it would be a very easy way to reinstate some of the former functionality of "Whistle This", for those that remember it (e.g. with a set 'homework' tune for everyone to post on every couple of weeks).
Thx for the clarification cos the OP title didn't say `Improving Irish Flute Players` playing only Irish tunes and you forgot to add `but we are Purists` :poke:

Pkev
Last edited by pkev on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Another closed session......

Rob
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

lol, just another kitchen session, and nowt wrong with that :)
Mark
pkev

Post by pkev »

MarkP wrote:lol, just another kitchen session, and nowt wrong with that :)
And so it would appear with the same mentality as those on the `whistlethis` site

1. Arbo extends a warm and open invitation to all members here at chiff to join in with this venture

2. Diabhidh, innocently thinking that's a great idea pipes up and says great I'd like to get involved!

3. Diabhidh is politely told to start his own group cos in reality his tunes are not wanted so neither is he!

Mind boggling :boggle:

pkev
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Woooaaaaah! Hold on a minute and get your facts straight before you launch in like that.

Mark and Ronnie sometimes like to share Facebook videos of ITM tunes in progress.
Ronnie posts a video on Facebook for his friends to see
Mark, Dagmar and Arbo comment on it.
Dagmar says she's not that comfortable posting in front of so many people and wouldn't it be nice if we had a little group to do that.
Mark sets up a little group to do that.
Arbo posts it on C&F.
Mark explains to everyone on C&F, with all due apology for any misunderstanding, that wasn't the intention
Mark explains the group is closed while we try it out and explains how easy it is to set up such a group and how it might work.
Diabhidh asks to join (after the above explanation has been given)
Mark suggests that he try setting up his own group (and adds a smiley).
Mark never once mentions Irish music anywhere in the entire thread?

C&F is a public discussion space, FB is a private friends space. I can't see the problem or the need to be so rude about it.
Mark
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

This thread should be nuked. That would clear up any residual confusion.

Rob
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Good idea. Ka-boom!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.