Off to California

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Off to California

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My wife and I are flying to San Diego on Monday and will be in town for four days. I would like to visit a session and/or meet Chiff & Fipple friends. My nephew, who recently received a Phd. from Yale, is getting married near the beach at Del Mar on Saturday. My wife has never been to California, so she is very excited. I'm taking my computer, so, hopefully, I can communicate.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Off to California

Post by MTGuru »

Doug, it will be great to meet you. We'll even play the title hornpipe for you. :-)

Michael Eskin is probably your best local contact. I'll PM you with more info.

The Sunday and Tuesday session info here is still accurate:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66455

The Thursday session lost its venue and is now a TBA house session for the moment (I'll update the listing soon).

The weather should be nice for you. A bit cloudy this week, and temps around 70F.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Bon Voyage Doug!

Anytime you want to session there is one Tuesday at Brockway pub Carmel & also Tuesday at the Golden Ace downtown.

Best,

Deisman
I'm on it...
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

We made it safely to California. The jet plane sure makes things easier than the horse and wagons of our ancestors. I plan to be at the Ould Sod on Tuesday night, as a visitor and not a session player. I will bring along one of my flutes in case anyone is interested. I hope to see some of the C&F people there.

My wife has been singing "California Here I Come", but I have been whistling "Off to California" in two part harmony.
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumper »

MTGuru wrote:The weather should be nice for you. A bit cloudy this week, and temps around 70F.
It's raining at my house. About time, too! :thumbsup:

Doug, I hope to cross paths with you tonight.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

First decent rain we've had at all in California in what seem like for ever... you don't suppose Doug brought that with him?

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Doug, it was a real pleasure meeting you and your lovely wife last night. I hope you enjoyed our little session. Next time, I promise to practice the Westphalia Waltz in advance. :-)

Have a great visit to California!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

MTGuru wrote:Doug, it was a real pleasure meeting you and your lovely wife last night. I hope you enjoyed our little session. Next time, I promise to practice the Westphalia Waltz in advance. :-)

Have a great visit to California!
Thank you, John. Rita and I had a good time listening to the session at The Ould Sod. It was nice meeting some of the folks at Chiff & Fipple. Today we visited the Cabrillo National Monument at Point Loma, where we had an excellent view of San Diego, the bay and surrounding areas. We walked down to the tidepools on the Pacific side of the point. Later, we visited Mission Beach at Belmont Park and took a series of back roads through neighborhoods, finally ending up at the Soledad Memorial on top of the mountain near La Jolla. Shopping in La Jolla my wife saw the price of a pair of sunglasses that she liked. The price tag read $325. We ate an ice cream cone that we could afford and got out of there.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

If you ever get up to Venice you can get two pair feefteen dalla... what? Ok. Ok. ten dalla.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
chas

Post by chas »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Shopping in La Jolla my wife saw the price of a pair of sunglasses that she liked. The price tag read $325.
Ever since Bugs Bunny let the cat outta the bag regarding La Jolla, I think it's been like that. Funny how Poith Amboy New Joisey and Walla Walla Washington became like La Jolla.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ann

Post by Ann »

It was a pleasure to meet you Doug. I'm glad you had a pleasant trip to Callifornia. See you next time you join us for a session.
-Ann
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Yes, it was a treat to meet Doug and Rita. Thanks for searching us out and spending an evening with us.

It's supposed to be sunny and 84F/30C here on Saturday. I hope the wedding is in the shade (or indoors)!

If you're still in town on Sunday evening come by The Field in the Gaslamp district downtown. Good food and plenty of good music too. :party:
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...