Chappell Clintons - seen one lately?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chappell Clintons - seen one lately?

Post by Terry McGee »

S.A. Chappell advertised in the 1880's that he was a manufacturer of Siccama and Clinton flutes - until recently I hadn't seen an example of his Clinton model. See http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Chappell-Cl ... t-2001.htm

I'd be interested to hear of any other Chappell Clintons (or indeed Clintons of any form) you might stumble across.

Terry
Cubitt

Re: Chappell Clintons - seen one lately?

Post by Cubitt »

Terry,

I do occasional research on my WD Cubitt, Son & Co. eight-key. Today, I found a piece from the Musical Times that starts as follows:

"W.D. Cubitt (Twenty years manager to S.A. Chappell). . ."

I don't know much about Chappell, so I thought you might be able to enlighten me about this association.

Thanks for any light you can shed.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Terry McGee might know something....
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Sicc_Ext_others.htm
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

That will be William Duncan Cubitt, dealer in woodwind and brass instruments, London, 1875-1887.

Rose (the biographer, not the flute maker!) notes "he sold instruments made to his own specifications, and gained a reputation especially for his clarionets". The ...Son & Co name was registered between 1882 and 1886.

The son, Robert Cubbitt, went on to run his own dealership, over at 4 Frith St (WD was at Great Malborough St. Must have been a rough area - Monzani, Metzler and a dealer called Campbell hung out there as well!)

I don't know anything of WD's connection to S.A.Chappell. They operated from 1862 to 1908. The date of your Musical Times would give you Cubbitt's start date with the company - it would be interesting to see if it preceeds or succeeds his own venture.

Terry
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Terry McGee wrote:That will be William Duncan Cubitt, dealer in woodwind and brass instruments, London, 1875-1887.

Rose (the biographer, not the flute maker!) notes "he sold instruments made to his own specifications, and gained a reputation especially for his clarionets". The ...Son & Co name was registered between 1882 and 1886.

The son, Robert Cubbitt, went on to run his own dealership, over at 4 Frith St (WD was at Great Malborough St. Must have been a rough area - Monzani, Metzler and a dealer called Campbell hung out there as well!)

I don't know anything of WD's connection to S.A.Chappell. They operated from 1862 to 1908. The date of your Musical Times would give you Cubbitt's start date with the company - it would be interesting to see if it preceeds or succeeds his own venture.

Terry
The date is 1879.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Terry McGee wrote:S.A. Chappell advertised in the 1880's that he was a manufacturer of Siccama and Clinton flutes - until recently I hadn't seen an example of his Clinton model. See http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Chappell-Cl ... t-2001.htm
Seeing as it is stamped "2001" it's probably a forgery :-)

-- Scott