Cruinniú na bhFliúit/The Flute Meeting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
plamas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cruinniú na bhFliúit/The Flute Meeting

Post by plamas »

Apologies to all for the delay in finally being able to accept bookings ( from 22nd January) for places at The Flute Meeting 2008.
As in 2006 it will take place over three days the week after Easter, 27th 28th 29th March.
This year teachers are, Tara Bingham, Harry Bradley, Catherine McEvoy, and Jean Michel Veillon...a line-up that's hard to beat, you'll agree. Four classes of 10, which are rotated so that all students are taught by each teacher.
Attendance at all events, ( Coláiste Ghobnatan is again our main venue) including classes and the communal meal, is €150, and places are secured by a €75 deposit. To book a place using a credit card please phone 353 26 45209 (please remember timezone differences, we're GMT) Program, which has a few things still to be decided on is below.
We hope to have the website up again as soon as possible.
All the Best
Hammy Hamilton, Rúnaí (Secretary) Cruinniú na bhFliúit 2008

Thursday 27th March

10.00am - 10.30am Registration Cóláiste Ghobnatan

10.30am - 1.00pm Classes Cóláiste Ghobnatan

1.00pm - 2.00pm Lunch

2.00pm - 3.15pm Seminar:
The Flute and the Player
Hammy Hamilton Cóláiste Ghobnatan

3.30 pm- 5.00pm Area walk ( weather dependant)
Guided by Hammy Hamilton

7.00pm - 8.00pm Film:
Josie MacDermott: The life and
music of the Roscommon fluter Museum Bar at the Mills

8.00pm - 9.00pm Communal Meal Museum Bar at the Mills

9.30pm - late Session The Mills Inn

Friday 28th March

10.00am - 1.00pm Classes Cóláiste Ghobnatan

1.00pm - 2.00pm Lunch

2.00pm - 4.30pm Classes Cóláiste Ghobnatan

4.30pm - 6.00pm Lecture
The Fifing Tradition in Ireland.
Gary Hastings Cóláiste Ghobnatan

8.00pm - 9.00pm Interview/recital
(to be announced) Museum Bar at the Mills

9.00pm - late sessions various local hostelries

Saturday 28th March

10.00am - 1.00pm Classes Cóláiste Ghobnatan

1.00pm - 2.00pm Lunch

2.00pm - 3.15pm Lecture:
(title to be announced)
Mick O'Connor Cóláiste Ghobnatan

3.30pm - 5.30pm Ensemble performance/practice The Top of Coom

8.30pm - 10.30pm The Big Concert Ionad at Cóláiste Ghobnatan

11.00 - late Sessions
bowjest
antispam: No

Post by bowjest »

Plamas,

I'm very new to fluting, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but 150 Euro will cover the whole 3 day event?

Where in Ireland does this take place?

Thanks!
kayaal

Post by kayaal »

Ballyvourney in west Cork.
Anzer

Post by Anzer »

Hi! Thanks for the info plamas. just wondering...is it possible to go to one day of the cruinniú or are there only tickets for the whole weekend? Cheers!
radcliff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

i'm already in! just trembling with excitement! :party:
plamas

The Flute Meeting

Post by plamas »

Hi, and sorry fro not replying to these questions earlier. €150 covers all of the weekend events, classes lectures seminars, concert, and communal meal.
Attendance for one day is not possible, but all events are open to the public, bar the classes.
In general can I rmind people that it's only a few weeks now to the 27th, and that we have a few ( declining) places left.
All the Best
Hammy Hamilton.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

If there are still places available and you can, go! Wish I could go again - I had a brilliant time at the last one two years back - learnt plenty and met great people and had loads of good music and craic......highly recommended.

BTW, one of the tunes in my signature clips, The Sullane Jig, was written (with some other tunes) when inspiration struck shortly after I returned home from the last Cruinniu - it's named for the local river at Ballyvourney that runs just opposite the pub where all the sessions are held and it is dedicated to Hammy.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kenny

recommendation

Post by kenny »

Agree with all Jem says above. We had quite a discussion on this website after the last one. If anyone's wondering what to expect, I posted what amounted to a daily diary about the classes and sessions - you should be able to find it if you do a "search". I'm just sorry I won't be able to make it this time. All the best for a successful event, Hammy.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

I too had a fantastic time at the previous meeting, really enjoyed meeting people like kenny and jem from this board, and am yet another that can't make it this year (three month old baby + wife who's not quite as into the music as I am...) - but to anyone hesitating over whether to go or not, don't give it another moment's thought. Get it booked!

PS - Hammy, as I say, I'm upset I can't make it this time, but I do at least now have one of your flutes - 6-key with blocks for the other two, as sold by cocus last year. It's fantastic!
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube
kenny

Any news ?

Post by kenny »

No news about this, or have I missed it? Did anyone go, how was it ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jemtheflute

Re: Any news ?

Post by jemtheflute »

kenny wrote:No news about this, or have I missed it? Did anyone go, how was it ?
Nah, Kenny, you haven't missed anything on here, so far as I have seen. I too have been wondering about it. I'd love to hear a report from anyone who went.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for the link, Flutered. It sounds like they had a great time, pretty much as we did 1st time around. I wonder if there were many, or any folk who went 1st time who also made it this year.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

Hiya -

I can only speak for myself but I had a great time, met some really lovely people, learned some really lovely tunes and ate some great food!

Certainly worth going to - the format was very much as Kenny described last year.

Pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...