Anyone have a Vanguard case for their flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone have a Vanguard case for their flute?

Post by BrendanB »

I'm trying to figure out if I can fit two flutes (keyed D, two piece mid section and a keyless Eb, two part mid section) into one case. I'm looking at these Vanguard camera cases, http://www.vanguardusa.com/vgp.htm.

I want to get a sense of how much space I need to leave in the foam between the different pieces, so if someone uses one of these cases and could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, if people have suggestions for other cases that can fit two flutes, that's be great.

Thanks,
Brendan
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I know a guy who keeps two flutes in something like this:
http://www.caseplaceusa.com/shopdisplay ... can+Pistol

I have three flutes that I keep in flute roll things, and then put those into something like this:
http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?P ... tegoryID=7
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

So exactly how many flutes/pieces are you wanting to carry, Brendan? It's a little unclear from how you said it. But if you mean two complete flutes and not an interchangeable D/Eb midsection scenario, then it sounds like you could do it in a Cavallaro roll with six slots, and I believe they make them with that many, although you may need to special order directly from them to get it. For a four-piece flute, typically you can keep the bottom two pieces together (i.e. the DEF# finger hole piece and the foot joint) and put them in one slot, with another slot for the GAB finger hole piece, and a third one for the head joint. This is how I carry my keyless four-piece Olwell C (or how I will carry it again once I get it back from Josh :D ). So if you have two four piece flutes, six slots would do it.
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

Sorry if I wasn't clear about it. I feel like we are having a cathartic Oprah moment talking about my flute protection needs.

What I am trying to do is store two full flutes (One keyed D (4pieces total) and One keyless Eb (4pieces) in one case. While I'm sure it would work to use a Cavallero roll, I'd prefer to get a hard case.

The vanguards looked nice and sturdy, big enough to hold two flutes, and have a foam interior that you can cut up, so I figured they would do the job. I just want to get a sense for what size I need - which is determined in part by how much space I need to leave in the foam between the different sections.

Thanks,
Brendan
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

For gigs, I'm after something like what Turlach Boylan carries on the road -- it's maybe a case for video lenses?

Anyway, it's big, pretty much briefcase-sized (but will fit under a chair) and holds his flute, a slew of whistles, repair stuff/beeswax block, etc. plus all manner of other things (I peeked, but it's been a while). I'm thinking it'll fit both my D and Bb, and maybe even a whistle or two.

Guess I've just got a soft spot for hard cases. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I've got one, although it's branded Winchester. It's identical to the GDS-7230C, and looks like this:

It has egg crate foam on the inside of the top and the top of the insert foam, and that piece will lift out for storage underneath. I'll try it when I get home to see how it handles two flutes. BTW, I gave about $35-40 for mine at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Oh yeah, the dividers can be moved around, so you could change it up a bit if you wanted.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

If you can spare the coin, I'd check out the Pelican case option in Seisflute's first link. A piper I know got one for his pipes before going to Westpoint since when you report in you can only bring what you can carry in your hands and drop from waist height before saluting. So what I'm saying is they are very durable plus you can customise the foam inserts for an extra secure fit.

I have a vanguard case for a set of pipes and find it to be very sturdy. They have a variety of sizes so that you could get 2 4-piece flutes into it without being bulky.
lesl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I just want to get a sense for what size I need - which is determined in part by how much space I need to leave in the foam between the different sections.
Hi Brendan, I read that you need to leave 1 inch between foam cutouts. If you first trace and label all your pieces onto paper (and cut them out), then you can try different configurations and measure what you end up with. Then you can compare to the inside dimensions listed..
typically you can keep the bottom two pieces together
I'm curious if this wouldn't compress the cork or thread?
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

lesl wrote:
typically you can keep the bottom two pieces together
I'm curious if this wouldn't compress the cork or thread?
When I picked up my four-piece C flute from Patrick Olwell, he's the one who told me I could do that. Although I didn't mention that he also said to pull them apart just a bit (about 1/8") rather than keep them together flush. I figure if anyone ought to know if it's okay to do that, it would be him, huh? :D
Tchie

I have one...

Post by Tchie »

It seems little different from what you are looking mine is this one:
http://www4.fnac.com/Shelf/Article.aspx ... nClick=yes
(sorry the site is in French)

I bought this one (much cheaper than the price indicated on the site)
to put my flute and MD for workshop.
It was attractive to buy since they have got die-cut foam (and I thought it
may help me avoiding all the tiresome mesuring and cutting).

It is perfect to fit for my purpose, however, please pay attention, this die-cut foam of about 1.5cm square, it is not much hard than what I had expected;
in other words, you have to leave 2 squares in order to separate one space to another to be sure that it does not let move the flute while you are carrying around.

(my flute has 6 keys) If yours are not keyed, you may separate by one square.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

dow wrote:I've got one, although it's branded Winchester. It's identical to the GDS-7230C, and looks like this:

It has egg crate foam on the inside of the top and the top of the insert foam, and that piece will lift out for storage underneath. I'll try it when I get home to see how it handles two flutes. BTW, I gave about $35-40 for mine at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Oh yeah, the dividers can be moved around, so you could change it up a bit if you wanted.
I checked, and I can put a keyless flute in the bottom, and then a keyed flute in the top part, so it should work. However, it would probably be better with that pick and pull foam instead of the eggcrate that I have.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.