London area flute repairer?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Karen L.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

London area flute repairer?

Post by Karen L. »

I have an eight-keyed blackwood flute probably dating from the mid-nineteenth century (unstamped apparently although there might just be a stamp hidden under a rough repair with plastic sealing on the tuning-slide part of the head joint). It has large holes, very nice strong tone, and might be a Pratten copy.

The previous owner (twenty-odd years ago - it's worked well enough until quite recently, but is finally leaking too badly to play properly) dropped it off a car bonnet and cracked the head-joint badly (though not the embouchure). This he'd had repaired by filling the upper part with glue, and binding the lower part, as mentioned above, with some plastic-type material. There's also a hairline crack in the foot joint, running to the upper ring. Apart from the cracks, it needs repadding, cleaning, tuning, etc.

I've heard of a repairer called Jon Dodd who used to live in London, but now he's moved to Clare (anyone have a current address/email for him?)

I'm slightly reluctant to send the flute off in the post unless it's unavoidable, though. Can anyone recommend a repairer capable of pinning the cracks and doing a good job, who's closer to London?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

The only London-based maker I can think of off the top of my head is Robert Bigio, but I don't know if he does repairs.

http://www.bigio.com/contact.html

Outside of London, Chris Wilkes springs instantly to mind (Herefordshire) http://www.wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/index.html

And Dominic Allan, but I'm not sure to what extent Dominic does repairs and restoration work. http://www.woodflutes.co.uk/index.html

Treeshark is London-based, he might have better advice though.

Hope this helps.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

You could contact All Flutes Plus (Warren Street) on 0207 338 8438, though they are more into metal flutes, but might be able to advise, or Hobgoblin in Rathbone Place on 020 7323 9040, who sell many different folk instruments and have a repairer on site, though I don't know if he does flute repairs.

Another alternative might be to call the Irish Centre at Hammersmith on 020 8563 8232 or the London Irish Centre in Camden on 0207 916 7272.

The Irish centres definitely offer classes in Irish flute, so might be able to put you in touch with a repairer.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Karen L.

Post by Karen L. »

Thanks Gary and Martin, for the very helpful info!

:)
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Hobgoblin sell Pakistani wooden flutesticks as cocuswood flutes, I would not quite trust them with a good flute.
Karen L.

Post by Karen L. »

Thanks, Hans, but don't worry - I'll only let a reputable repairer near it!
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

The only name I can add is Carl Bell who does repairs, he's in Kent somewhere.
He does do repairs.

http://www.carlbell.co.uk/4598.html