New flute woes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mermaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New flute woes

Post by Mermaid »

I recently purchased a Sweetheart Resonance Flute. I am hoping someone can help me in this problem I'm having.

I have smallish hands but I can reach the holes fine. However when I play with all the holes open the flute falls away from my mouth and down. It is like it is head heavy. Apparently my left hand is not big enough to support the flute in the balance area. I have tried all kinds of angles trying to compensate for the problem. The only thing that helps is if I support it on my shoulder for which I don't want to start that habit. I have even considered trying to find a counterweight out of something that would not be obvious and hurt the look of the flute. Right now I am not sure what that would be.
I play whistles so the fingering is not that bad but trying to relax is not possible when your flute falls out of your hands.

Or is this all in the trials and tribulations of learning to play an Irish flute?

Any help on this I would appreciate.

Thanks,
Paulette
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

search on holding flute in the flute forum by posts

it is a normal problem

points are lower lip, both thumbs, and far pinkie finger.

there is a bit of disagreement on the near thumb. on a keyed flute it must be able to move for the key so it is of limited help
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

On most flutes you can keep your fingers on the two or three bottommost holes without affecting the tuning of the C#.

I also recommend a three-point support of the flute: your right thumb should be on the side of the flute rather than underneath it, pushing gently away from you; the base of your left index finger is pushing back towards you, and of course your chin is where it is. This takes a bit of effort to master, but it frees your fingers from having to support the instrument.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hiya.
There's loads of stuff available on how to "hold" a flute. I bet there have been threads on it on here. Have a look at http://www.mcgee-flutes.com - Terry has a section on this, if I remember aright, and lots of other great stuff.
It sounds like you are not supporting the flute on your LH 1st finger 1st knuckle (the one nearest the palm). If you cock your L forefinger (no flute for now) as if you were going to pull a pistol trigger, that knuckle should stick out a bit. Now take your flute, put your 3 LH finger pads on the finger holes as if to play, then tuck the tube onto that projecting knuckle, but DON'T squeeze it there! (You'll just get cramp.)
Now put the flute up into a more-or-less horizontal playing posture. Hold it with just your R hand fingers 1-3 pads onthe relevant holes, little finger on side of tube. Use your L hand to position the tube against your lip. Then put your L hand into place as previously, but once position found, raise all the fingers, just rest it on the knuckle. Exert a gentle pressure TOWARDS your body from that knuckle/side of your L forefinger. Now withdraw your R thumb around the side of the tube until it is more pushing away than up. Keep your R little finger on the tube too if you can/like. Lift R 1-3 into the air. The flute should now be stably balanced and you should be able to move around quite freely without (fear of) dropping it.
To summarise, the flute should be "held" in place by the opposing pressures - two outwards pressures towards the ends of the tube (face and R thumb, R little finger extra) and one inwards near the centre (L forefinger lowest knuckle). You should not have to "hold it up" at all. When you place your fingers back on the holes, they should be relaxed and free to move easily, not stiff and clenched in a mortal grip!
Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.
Best wishes.
Jem.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

rt pinky down, if nec rt ring finger down on hole D too,
as mentioned above.
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Thank you all for your help.

I'm at work and do not have it with me.
I will try your suggestions when I get home and will tell you which one worked for me.

This forum has great people.

Paulette
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

And don't get discouraged if it takes a while. Keep it up - you *will* get better.

I've been playing flute for about a year and a half. The first couple of weeks I worried about this lot, and it was occasionally an issue for a while longer, but getting better was a gradual thing.

I knew that I was getting there when one day I realized I'd been playing for over an hour and hadn't had any problems. These days, I obsess on embouchure (sometimes) and timing (always, sigh). But for the first few days I was sure I'd *never* get over simply holding the flute.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

~~~~
Barry
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Oh thank you, thank you all!

After I understood the mechanics, I was actually able to do both octaves, rough but it is a start! I am so pumped. I was so discouraged last night. Tonight I was able to use my fingers without fear of dropping it. The pictures helped a lot too. I am a visual oriented person. :D

Like I said, you guys Rock!

Paulette
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

i tie balloons to the head joint....helium filled, you see.
Also to the footjoint. just close the holes with
my finger pads. minimal contact
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I probably do this wrong, but I almost can't play unless my R-hand pinky finger is down. I can't get the feel for "gently pushing the flute away" with the R thumb. It feels foreign.

I am sure that's why I suffer from flute-death-grip syndrome, and why my fingers don't move as quickly as I would like, but you know, I am what I am

M