2 piece flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
woodenbrother

2 piece flutes

Post by woodenbrother »

hi ive got a cheap but nice eric bamboo flute,but i'm hoping to upgrade..whats the best 2 piece flute,i'm pretty ignorant to makers so any advice would be most welcome!.. thks in advance..wb
Last edited by woodenbrother on Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: 2 peice flutes

Post by Doug_Tipple »

woodenbrother wrote:hi ive got a cheap but nice eric bamboo flute,but i'm hoping to upgrade..whats the best 2 peice flute,i'm pretty ignorant to makers so any advice would be most welcome!.. thks in advance..wb
I don't know anyone who is making a 2-piece flute from bamboo, mainly because it is very difficult to do. It so happens that I make a 2-piece and 3-piece flute from pvc. Please click on my webpage. Also, Casey Burns makes a very nice 2-piece, conical-bore wooden flute for about $290, if I am not mistaken. Also, check out 2-piece wooden flutes from the Sweetheart Flute Company.
woodenbrother

Post by woodenbrother »

oops should of said i ment wooden or material other then bamboo..thks for reply wb
cocusflute

Martin Doyle

Post by cocusflute »

Martin Doyle-- world's best two-piece flute.
Absolutely.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Depends on how deep your pocket is.... the sky's the limit. M&E, Bleazey and Burns are good on the less expensive end. Tipple is good if finances are really an issue. If you have a wad of cash that's smoking in your pocket, Cotter, Grinter and Wilkes are nice. Inbetween? Copley, Olwell, Murray. Remember, "best" depends on the listener/player. Avoid anything on eBay until you learn some.
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
woodenbrother

Post by woodenbrother »

thks for the replies..i guess im looking at £300-£600 at a stretch,might be worth saving for more?..will look into some of the names mentioned thks again..like i said im pretty ignorant about makers..for some reason i got it into my head there wernt to many two peices to choose from..im way off the best cash wise it seems lol.. wb
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Depends on how deep your pocket is.... the sky's the limit. M&E, Bleazey and Burns are good on the less expensive end. Tipple is good if finances are really an issue. If you have a wad of cash that's smoking in your pocket, Cotter, Grinter and Wilkes are nice. Inbetween? Copley, Olwell, Murray. Remember, "best" depends on the listener/player. Avoid anything on eBay until you learn some.
To the best of my knowledge, M&E, Bleazey, Cotter, Grinter, Wilkes, Copley, Olwell and Murray don't make two-piece flutes (although the Bleazey G is indeed a two-parter).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Perhaps a stupid question, woodenbrother, but why a 2-piece flute?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jim stone

Re: Martin Doyle

Post by jim stone »

cocusflute wrote:Martin Doyle-- world's best two-piece flute.
Absolutely.
Second this.

Sweetheart flutes are two piece, reasonably priced,
and a step up from what you are playing.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Dollar for dollar (or £ for £) you cannot beat Martin Doyle's two piece flutes. They are less costly because of the two (rather than 3-5) pieces. Fergus O'Gorman won an All-Ireland on his. Ronan Browne loves his. This is what Martin himself, who is, BTW, a very accomplished player, takes to sessions.
Nothing else in the price range compares. Doyle's flutes can compare well with anybody's, even without the price factor.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I've played one-piece, two-piece, three-piece and four-piece flutes, and now I'm looking to upgrade. Which maker makes the best five-piece flute?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

johnkerr wrote:I've played one-piece, two-piece, three-piece and four-piece flutes, and now I'm looking to upgrade. Which maker makes the best five-piece flute?
That depends on whether you're counting the headjoint and barrel as two pieces or one, and whether a hose-clamp is considered a piece of the flute or, like the FluteBeard™, just an important accessory.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
cocusflute

13 piece Rudall

Post by cocusflute »

I'll be selling a 14 piece (exclusive of rings and pins) Rudall Rose....
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I suppose WB is really asking about better flutes than the
one he is playing, which is bamboo. For 'two piece'
best to read 'more than one piece.'

Anyhow WB, some helpful info in this thread, I hope,
as a number of the flutes we've mentioned
are good ones. It depends on how much money
you wish to spend. If you are seriously interested
get the best flute you can. There's a lot of searchable
info here too, and you are welcome to PM us.

Good luck.
Last edited by jim stone on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Actually, I just dropped my four-piece flute, but thankfully it's still playable. So now I'm looking to upgrade to a six-piece flute. But it can't be a six-key and have a 6 in the serial number, because that would make it a 666 flute. If I played one of those I'm sure only bluegrass would come out...