Need Advice on Shipping: Ireland to U.S.A.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need Advice on Shipping: Ireland to U.S.A.

Post by Dana »

I've bought a flute that is currently in Ireland, and the seller is having difficulty determining the best way to send the flute to me. I want to have it relatively soon, and also would like the flute's value protected. I'd appreciate any suggestions from those with experience at this. Thanks very much!

Dana
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Have it insured for its full value. Have it declared for its full value. Mail service via postal service is spectacular these days.

A letter mailed from here, a suburb of Chicago, is delivered three days later in Ireland - almost exactly the same service as for mailing a first class letter in the US.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Jim McGuire wrote:Have it insured for its full value. Have it declared for its full value. Mail service via postal service is spectacular these days.

A letter mailed from here, a suburb of Chicago, is delivered three days later in Ireland - almost exactly the same service as for mailing a first class letter in the US.
This may be true, but since a flute will not fit in the envelope of a first class letter, be sure to specify (and pay extra for) air mail rather than surface mail for the flute package being shipped from Ireland. I've heard that surface mail can take weeks rather than days to arrive. And be sure the seller wraps the flute securely in a well-padded airtight package (a ziplock inner lining would suffice for the airtight requirement) to minimize the banging around and moisture loss that will occur during shipping in dry, cold airplane baggage holds. Even with this, expect that tenon joints which were probably sealing tightly when they left Ireland will be very loose upon arrival in America. Re-humidify the flute carefully once you get it, to guard against sudden changes in the wood moisture level that might end up cracking the flute. In other words, don't go rushing out to a four-hour session with it the day you get it. Bring it along slowly.

The best way to get a flute over to the States from Ireland is to go pick it up yourself and bring it back. This of course can be quite expensive, but fun...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What about customs? How does that work?
cocusflute

Ireland to USA

Post by cocusflute »

John is, as usual, correct about the best way to get a flute from Ireland to the US.
The second best way is to ask somebody coming from Ireland to hand-carry the flute back and mail it to you from inside the US. You could offer the carrier $50 in gratitude. It would be cheaper and safer than shipping.
I recently sent a flute from Ireland to Sweden via Anpost and was unable to get more than €350 coverage for theft/damage. UPS or DHL might be different.
In any case a flute should be sent registered so that it is signed for at every hand-off.
U.S. Customs is unpredictable.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Dana,

I just responded to Nora's thread on the same topic.

Either DHL or FedEx should be able to insure for the full value. I get DHL from Ireland all the time.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Dana

Post by Dana »

Thanks for all the suggestions, very helpful! I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Dana
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Air parcel service is identical to letter service.

Surface, of course, is different all together as parcels travel on the surface - water and land. The postal service has to pile stuff up until they get a full container, then they find a ship for it. Then, in the US, it is trucked to its destination. Thus, the variability in delivery times - could be 3-6 weeks. Christmas time has many more parcels but fewer winter crossings, etc.

Duties are due in either event, whether by shipping or hand-carried on a plane. Make sure the receipt is with the flute.

USPS, DHL, FedEx - these services operate virtually flawlessly. Stuff happens, of course, but, if something is sent with priority, is trackable, and is insured, it will arrive.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've shipped one to Ireland and two from Ireland. In all three cases, the good old EirePost (I forget exactly what it's called)/USPS combo seemed to work just fine. Have the seller mark the package "Fragile" on all sides (I actually wrote "Glass" on the one I sent over) and use lots of bubble wrap. Also, if those cheapie Doskocil pistol cases are available over there, they are terrific for holding the 4-piece flutes securely....one of those surrounded by a bunch of bubble wrap inside a stout cardboard box should do brilliantly.

Congratulations! :party:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.