Over-oiling?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Over-oiling?

Post by Danner »

I oil my flute as directed, but I'm just curious. As long as a flute keeps drinking up what you give it, is it possible to oil too much?
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Over-oiling?

Post by I.D.10-t »

Danner wrote:I oil my flute as directed, but I'm just curious. As long as a flute keeps drinking up what you give it, is it possible to oil too much?
What kind of wood and what kind of oil?

Not that I can answer the question.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Danner

Post by Danner »

I dunno. The question is hypothetical at this point. I play a rosewood flute and use a commercial bore oil. Or, we could work with a worst case scenario, which could be rather interesting. Whatever wood soaks up the most, with something like peanut oil that can be used, but doesn't provide a lot of protection.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would say that yes, you can certainly over-oil, and depending on the circumstance (kind of wood, kind of oil, how much, how long) you can damage the wood or even severely damage the flute.

I would say drying oils like linseed oil are the best protection for the flute but also the most likely to harm the flute if misused.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Much discussion about these matters if you search.
Loren, I believe, once said that he has seen more
flutes harmed by over-oiling than by under-oiling.
He was working as a woodwind repair person.

I've had one highly respected maker tell me never
to oil his flute (or, at least, that there was no need
ever to oil). My own feeling is that oiling is
optional, especially after the flute is broken in--but, of course, that doesn't mean it does positive harm.
maire

Post by maire »

I dont use anything else but pure Almond oil on the flute, and dont over do it. Try oiling the flute with a rag wrapped around the end of a pipe cleaner that has been dipped in the oil. Some times people dont realise that not playing a new and unseasoned flute for long enough can be every bit as bad as over or under oiling a flute. The rule of thumb is supposed to be that you should play a new flute until the slabbers come out the end in drips. Sam Murrays advice to me when I was 14yrs. It works for me still. :)
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

maire wrote:I dont use anything else but pure Almond oil on the flute, and dont over do it. Try oiling the flute with a rag wrapped around the end of a pipe cleaner that has been dipped in the oil. Some times people dont realise that not playing a new and unseasoned flute for long enough can be every bit as bad as over or under oiling a flute. The rule of thumb is supposed to be that you should play a new flute until the slabbers come out the end in drips. Sam Murrays advice to me when I was 14yrs. It works for me still. :)
Taken that you are in Ireland. You could play for hours down here now without the hint of moist (45 cent. degrees). :lol: However, Murray told me there was no point in oiling his flute.

BTW. Maire, can I know what flute you played in Caceres Fleadh? I can't remember. What a sound!
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Danner

Post by Danner »

Thanks all. I know people who oil religiously and wondered whether they could actually be doing more harm than good. Then, there are others who never, ever have oiled in their life. I guess it's one of those things that can just depend so much.
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

What's the worst than can happen when over-oiling apart from causing a sludgy residue on the inside of the bore :-? ?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The flute gets a bit heavier?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

I think the trend is towards more frequent oiling... I used to oil my flutes about once a month, if not a wee bit less.

Recently, my teacher, a maker and a performer have leaned towards oiling once a week.

The humidity in the UK is high for most of the year, so it's not that.
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

vanessa wrote:What's the worst than can happen when over-oiling apart from causing a sludgy residue on the inside of the bore :-? ?
You can get oil on the pads or keys, harming the pads, and making the key action sluggish. I had managed to get some oil into the block mount of the Eb key, and it was sticking open (all keys are normally closed except low C & C#).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
maire

Post by maire »

What's the worst than can happen when over-oiling apart from causing a sludgy residue on the inside of the bore ? :o

If there is already a weakness in the grain of the flute, the oil can serve as the force that may make it seperate, causing a split in the wood. But only if you are really unlucky, also it plays havoc with the joints and tuning slide. I have seen over oiled flutes where the slide has come away from the barrel completely.

Sylvester, I play a Goodlad and Willis London Quays flute circa 1832. And Yes, she is a beast (her names Bessie). :wink: [/quote]
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

maire wrote: Sylvester, I play a Goodlad and Willis London Quays flute circa 1832. And Yes, she is a beast (her names Bessie). :wink:
[/quote]

:boggle: an absolute piece of work.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
maire

Post by maire »

I agree Sylvester, you dont get many like them any more, and she is quite a loud wee hooter when she is played properly (which I endeavour to do as often as I can) How is your flute going in this weather? I took note of your comment about the heat where you are living, and to be honest, it never crossed my mind that each country would have its own issues of this type. That what you get for being parochial :oops: