Frankie Kennedy school

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flauta dolce
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Frankie Kennedy school

Post by Flauta dolce »

Who is going to the Frankie Kennedy school this winter from this site? http://www.frankiekennedy.com

I'm going for the first time studying the flute as a beginner and was looking for some recommendations or tips for the classes, thanks.

Flauta Dolce
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

From what I hear it would also behoove you to take lots of aspirin for after the sessions. :-D

Sorry, no tips otherwise beyond ... have a great time, don't lose your flute, and don't forget your minirecorder!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
onkel

Post by onkel »

Hey Flauta,

I'm pretty jealous I must say. I've been to the Winter School a few times but can't make it this year. Classes: There are usually three levels for the flute. One class each. So you won't have much choice I guess ;-) As Cathy said, bring some type of mini recorder with you and wait and see and hear. The atmosphere in the Lakeside centre in Dun Lewy is very homy and relaxed. Some concerts take place there as well. There are also concerts/recitals at the Ostan Gweedore, a hotel located in a beautiful scenery just by the sea. There are some sessions there as well, but the last time I was there, the hotel staff weren't that welcoming of late sessions anymore, so after the concerts we usually went to An Chúirt (another hotel), which is located between Bunbeg and Dunlewy. And don't miss Huidi Beag's pub in Bunbeg!

Anyway, you're in for a great time. Enjoy it!
Claus
Flauta dolce

FKWS 2005-06 was great!

Post by Flauta dolce »

I have just returned FKWS.

I am playing much better on the flute now. My tone has really come on and I am really chuffed about that. The standard of teaching is really high.

The scenery is magic.

Bunbeg is great for sessions and I stayed in Screag an Iolair hostel so I played there as well.

I will be going back.

C x

N.B. I was without a car on this occasion, and a car is really, really necessary there. So I spent a lot of money on taxis and getting lifts to classes from people. That's not ideal
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

who was your flute teacher?
pinkyirl

Post by pinkyirl »

wow - looks & sounds fanastic...when did you start learning the flute? I might chance that next year...nice way to spend new year too i'd say
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Congratulations! I'm glad the teaching was good, and I'm also glad you had the opportunity to play your fingers off. That's invaluable.

<sigh> Maybe next year....
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

I keep meaning to get along to the FKWS but the time of year is not ideal. I had a look on the website and was surprised to find no mention of who was teaching? Maybe I just couldn't find it. Maybe some year..........

David
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

I keep meaning to get along to the FKWS but the time of year is not ideal. I had a look on the website and was surprised to find no mention of who was teaching? Maybe I just couldn't find it. Maybe some year..........

David
Seanduine

Post by Seanduine »

The Flute Blowout on New Years Day would have been worth the trip alone. Harry Bradley hosted and played along with the likes of Paul O'Shaughnessy, Conor Byrne, Marcus O Murchu, Hammy Hamilton, Tara Diamond and a few others. Great stuff.
Flauta dolce

FKWS replies

Post by Flauta dolce »

To answer your questions, Harry Bradley, Conor Byrne, Marcus O Murchu and Tara Diamond were teaching flute there.

Unfortunately, I was not at the Flute blow-out as my partner was unwell at the time.

But, I was at an archive programme run by Ionad Cois Locha on the previous day (Dunlewey Centre, Donegal) and the above were playing as well as Hammy Hamilton and the piper Gay McCowen (I can't think today, pls excuse my spelling).

It was very interesting to listen to their music as well as their individual stories.

I'll be meeting flute player Mick Hand in a week's time. He has played with Sean Potts and now plays with Conor Rowsome in Cobblestones occasionally.

I shall also meet Cian O'Suilleabhan and promise to pass any tips re. playing the flute. Both are fantastic to listen to on the flute.

Btw Cian taught music to Conor Byrne at secondary school. :)

The good thing about playing the Irish flute is not the music but the stories that come with the musicians.

I heard one last night about Seamus Tansey last night which I will relate later on.
planxtydt

Re: FKWS replies

Post by planxtydt »

Flauta dolce wrote:
The good thing about playing the Irish flute is not the music but the stories that come with the musicians.

I heard one last night about Seamus Tansey last night which I will relate later on.

Is it the one about a certain letter and radio show? :lol:
Hope this only posts once this time!

David
Flauta dolce

Seamus Tansey

Post by Flauta dolce »

Hi PlanxtyDt I don't know that story....Do you want to tell me that one?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Seanduine wrote:The Flute Blowout on New Years Day would have been worth the trip alone. Harry Bradley hosted and played along with the likes of Paul O'Shaughnessy, Conor Byrne, Marcus O Murchu, Hammy Hamilton, Tara Diamond and a few others. Great stuff.
Aw, stop, wouldja? ;-)
Myrddin

Post by Myrddin »

Hey all,

I've also just come home from the Winter School - everyone seems to have had a great time there! I was in Harry Bradley's class, and I guess those tunes will keep me busy for a while...

Apart from the music, the scenery makes a trip to Donegal worth while, and the hostel in Crolly is a wonderful place (we had a car, which is really advisable when you're staying there).

If you're interested, you'll find some pictures on our homepage: www.faoilean.de

A Happy 2006 to everyone,
Michaela