New, play GHB Want to flute, and whistle. Just read!!!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

It looks like it has the same chanter set-up as a GHB except played open. GHB is played mostly closed. Actually open fingering on that bagpipe would be rather like a bombarde.

This bagpipe isn't a replica which may be want you want if you're interested in playing period music.

I don't know where you see the common drone/chanter stock on this bagpipe but there's nought wrong with that setup. A lot of Continental bagpipes have the common drone/chanter stock. A GHB maker even made a practice chanter with a drone.

If a bagpipe is something your interested in, Micah, you have a lot of options with Scottish pipes, Uilleann pipes, or the various other kinds of pipes out there.

Cheers,
Aaron
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

I too am a GHB player/fluter. In my experience, the fingering was not that much of a challenge. The hard part isn't so much embouchure (which just takes practice) but strategic breathing - on pipes it's completely disconnected from the tune. On flute, when to breathe is a HUGE part of it.

You will find yourself missing that low seventh note a lot too when playing in the bottom octave.

I had the chance a few weeks ago (Swannanoa Gathering) to check out a bunch of flutes. For entry-level, I would suggest the CB folk flute. My roommate had a tipple. While it is well made and sounded good, *In My Opinion* the feel of the cylindrical shape was quite different from that of most other "Irish* flutes, and was harder to finger.

Stay away from the 2-piece Dixon.

If you can swing it, a Seery or M &E are worth it.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Erikpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Erikpiper »

hey, Thanks all! I finally recieved my grey larson guide from borders. ( Gift cards :) ) I have picked up a Sweetone in C.

Just sayin thanks,

Erik
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist