Steven Cox performance bamboo flute info request

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dread

Steven Cox performance bamboo flute info request

Post by dread »

I am trying to buy a good, inexpensive bamboo flute and considering the Steven Cox Performance model low D major flute. Does anyone have any experience with his flutes?

Thanks.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

They are not as loud as other bamboo flutes, as the holes are fairly small.

Olwell bamboo flutes seem to be the standard, against which all others are measured.
~JessieD
Daryl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Daryl »

Hi,

I know I'm in the minority on this here at C&F, but if you're looking for a bamboo flute that's truly inexpensive and still has a good sound, my personal favorite is the low D flute from Serenity Bamboo Flutes:

http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/

Their dark/glossy low D is only $26 including shipping, and it's got a full, rich sound. They fully guarantee their flutes for a year, even if the dog eats one. Another $3 gets you a cloth bag to go with it.

If you order from them, though, do be sure to ask them to pick one that's well in tune and has a good sound.

I should note that I've also tried their G and low C flutes. They're not bad, but to me they don't have the same warm, rich, full sound as that low D.

If you're not totally hard-over on needing the flute to be bamboo, that Tipple flute everyone talks about is an excellent buy.

If you're willing to pay more and want one that everyone agrees is the gold standard, then I'd agree with the Olwell recommendation.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

-- Daryl
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

How are these volume-wise? Thanks
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

jim stone wrote:How are these volume-wise? Thanks
The Serenity flutes? I'd need to do a side-by-side test with my Tipple to give a more accurate answer, but to my ear it honks out pretty well.

As much as I love my Tipple (and I do!), I find the Serenity low D is the one I usually reach for. It's easy to play, lightweight, and I love the feel and smell of the finish and the bamboo. Plus, at $26, it's easily replaceable if I go into klutz mode and crack it against a rock or something!

I don't think the makers intend these to be session flutes, though. They're not tunable.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I have a Cox bamboo.

It has a solid low D and it is easy to play in both octaves. Seems reasonably in tune with itself, going by my tuner. Gets off a little at the top of the second octave, flattening out by about 15 cents, but that might just be me.

And I don't think you have to ask him to be sure and send you a good one. I didn't get the impression that he cranked them out by the dozens, willy-nilly, for the unsuspecting mass market. Looks like he makes them to order, specifically for you, and he's not going to send you a bad one.

It's a big flute, but Steve will offset the holes for you. They are smaller holes, so you don't have to shove half a finger into one, but it's probably not the loudest flute out there. It is a tad quieter than my McGee.

Is Olwell making bamboo flutes again? He had stopped. His may be the gold standard, but if they're not available . . .
dread

Post by dread »

Thanks, Peggy for your very helpful response! Whether or not I can obtain an Olwell, I think I will be getting a Cox.
dread

re Serenity bamboo flutes

Post by dread »

Thanks, Daryl for the suggestion regarding Serenity flutes. I can't connect to your link, but will be searching for the Serenity flutes. The price is very attractive.
dread

re Steven Cox performance bamboo flute info request

Post by dread »

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am clearly a clueless newbee and very much appreciate your willingness to share your experience with me.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Mr. Olwell has been taking the last couple winters off from bamboo to catch up on his wooden flute list. It's been around this time of year he opens the gates again.

His bamboo flutes really are superb. They are wolves in sheep's clothing. They look like a bamboo flute but play like a wooden flute.

Cheers,
Aaron
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I do hope Mr. Olwell keeps making his bamboo flutes. The consistency and volume of the praise everyone has for them tells me that I've got to have one eventually.

Uh-oh. I feel Flute Obsessive Acquisition Disorder coming on again! :o
Daryl

Re: re Serenity bamboo flutes

Post by Daryl »

dread wrote:Thanks, Daryl for the suggestion regarding Serenity flutes. I can't connect to your link, but will be searching for the Serenity flutes. The price is very attractive.

Please do let us know how you like whichever flute you do get!

By the way, I tried the link I posted and it worked for me. I wonder why you couldn't get there? Does it mean, perhaps, that you're destined to buy that Steven Cox flute or an Olwell instead?
JS

Post by JS »

Does anyone know what happened to Aaron Heinig's Blissful Bamboo Flutes site? It seeems to have disappeared. I have a couple of his flutes--an Eb and a little D-minor one--and they're very nicely made. If anyone has his e-mail, I'd appreciate it if you'd send it to me as a PM; I never had the chance to thank him for making the Eb.

Jordan
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

JS wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Aaron Heinig's Blissful Bamboo Flutes site? It seeems to have disappeared. I have a couple of his flutes--an Eb and a little D-minor one--and they're very nicely made. If anyone has his e-mail, I'd appreciate it if you'd send it to me as a PM; I never had the chance to thank him for making the Eb.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

The Blissful Bamboo name sounded familiar, so I thought I'd see if I could find anything. I got the same results as you on the web site, but I did find an address and telephone number for Aaron at

http://www.firescribble.net/flute/makers.html

Blissful Bamboo Flutes
c/o Aaron Heinig
P.O. Box 2424
Port Angeles, WA 98362, USA
(360) 452-0907

I hope that helps.
Lambchop

Re: re Steven Cox performance bamboo flute info request

Post by Lambchop »

dread wrote:Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am clearly a clueless newbee and very much appreciate your willingness to share your experience with me.
OK, here's the deal. Right now, you're thinking "I need a flute," as in "one flute." One flute, you think, is going to solve all your flute needs.

You are therefore looking for the perfect flute, and, coincidentally, you want to spend not too much more than you are willing to risk on something you're not sure you can even manage to play. (If you've played flute before and are more confident, I'll still phrase it that way because there are lots of folks whom that will fit to a T.)

The one flute thing isn't going to happen because you're going to discover--and rather quickly--that flutes are all different. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

You're not going to get a world-class flute for $100, but your $100 can get you a fantastic bamboo, or a fantastic Tipple, or goodness only knows what else, which you can use even after you advance into bigger and better flutes.

So, my advice to you is to accept this. Accept that FlOAD is inevitable and the best you can hope for is a modicum of control.

Accept that you will not be looking for The Perfect Flute, but that you are looking for your FIRST flute now. Perhaps the knock-around you'll use forever. You'll get another one later. There is no need at this point to find the perfect flute for the perfect price. You just need something to start out on that will be good for a beginner.

This attitude will change your perspective. Your current flute search needn't be a Big Deal. Let it be a smaller, less worrisome production and you'll do fine.

I'd go with a Cox, an Olwell, a Serenity, or a Tipple. Bamboos are cool, though, and they have a nice sound. That way, you don't have to worry about cost or caretaking. The advice in the posts above has already eliminated the bad choices for you--these are good ones.

And, if you aren't already playing whistle, get a couple of whistles. You'll find them invaluable for learning tunes and fingering while you are still in the "embouchure craps out after 15 minutes) phase.