Paddy WARD: New Flute Maker is now "Out" and ready

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Paddy WARD: New Flute Maker is now "Out" and ready

Post by RudallRose »

FYI
A new flute maker is about to hit the scene.
Paddy Ward, a fluter from Ireland who's made pipes in the past, is about to make his keyless and keyed flutes available.

Paddy, now living in upstate NY (where the fly fishing is grand!), is still working out the details of the official release, but as I know it, he will have a variety of flutes to offer in Delrin (keyed and keyless), blackwood and boxwood (keyed and keyless), in D and in Eb. He's also got several production "options" such as faux-Ivory rings and other fancy stuff that look really good.

His flutes are based on a pair of 8-keyed Hawkes flutes (in the Pratten style and c.1890), in D and Eb, that Paddy owns and plays. I've played both of the originals and the first of Paddy's production and I have to say they're downright terrific. The Delrin flute is way cool. Paddy played a Seery for a long time just to get the feel of Delrin in his hands and how players react to it. As a player, Paddy is first rate and has a dominant playing style somewhere between the power of Conal O'Grada and the finesse of Ms. McEvoy.

I know he's got an assortment of flutes ready to go (keyed wood and keyless Delrin), but as I said, he's working out the minor details of marketing and such.

He's asked my own Fyfer Restorations to help and I've agreed, but only to the extent that it gets his feet on the ground of marketing and sales and he eventually takes that on himself.

He's not wanting to take phone calls as yet with questions, but will soon.
A website will be forthcoming, etc etc.
More details to come here.
Any questions, just PM me!

DM
Last edited by RudallRose on Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Tease :)
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I had many PMs from many folks asking many things, as expected.

I spoke with Paddy tonight and he provided some more details for me.
Basically noted, he's got Delrin flutes completed and the last of the wood flutes being done for the first batch.

Other details are still being worked out, but suffice that the first Delrin models should reach me by week's end.

I will endeavor to answer all the PMs that I can, most likely all at once on this board. Just give me a day to digest and digest it. (ha, bad line!)

Most important, though for all:
His flutes are not fully-lined heads. He can do it, but prefers part-lined.
The body is two-piece, although it is based on the one-piece Hawkes body (which are Pratten like, but without all the air, Paddy says).
Flutes offered will be D or Eb or combos (separate bodies, same head/foot), with sterling silver rings/slide or stainless steel rings/slide for a little less. Too, a decorative faux-Ivory Deluxe model that's quite beautiful and, thankfully, affordable. Photos to come.

Keyed wood flutes will be in 6key or 8key, Blackwood or Boxwood for the moment (he has Cocus, but it's still seasoning).

The first flutes out will be Delrin, followed by wood (about 2 months from now) and the first fully-keyed flutes in a few weeks.
There will be a 10-day purchase price refund on all flutes, a six-month guarantee for repairs if needed and a free tune up after the first year (to include re-reaming and padding, spring tightening, etc as needed), all done by Paddy.

That takes care of the basic stuff. No orders as yet. Once the first flutes get to me and I'm satisfied (and Paddy's satisfied that I'm satisfied), we'll start. Hopefully by next Monday.

Thanks folks. Didn't mean to be premature on the announcement yesterday. But it will be worth it in the end for all.
So far I've only announced this new maker on this board. I will keep it that way until ample chances here.
I'm endeavoring to have other board members play the flutes, such as Blayne and Don, who are in this part of the world. Helps to have different perspectives and input.

More later.
DM
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Okay.
Paddy's out!
I played his Delrin D/Eb combo last night at the session.
The D is really good.
The Eb is incredible.
So.....website is coming in the next day or so.
Anyone interested in a D or Eb (or combo) flute should reach Paddy directly at WardFlutes@hotmail.com
The website will be www.WardFlutes.com
He has some wood flutes done (keyed, too, I believe).
The delrin is in matte or gloss finish.
Don Lambert on the board was there to listen (and played a bit on the D), so his thoughts here would be nice (if he wants to).
Folks, I get nothing on this. Paddy is a friend who's only asked my help to put the word out on his flutes. That's it.
I'm an addict to my old flutes, so they won't be replaced. But....his Eb is much better than any Eb that I've got so far (and mine is a Pratten).
For what it's worth.
Prices range from $550 (D or Eb keyless Delrin) to $1400 (D/Eb combo Delrin "deluxe" flute with faux ivory and sterling fittings, etc)
Paddy's mailing address:
Mr. Paddy Ward
4 Old State Rte. 28
Shandaken, NY 12480
Please, no phone calls (without his permission , of course....he gives you the number, then you're okay) or unannounced visits (he's still kind of getting his stuff together....but session visits are cool....not sure where he's playing these days.....but he drops in to NYC on occassion.)
Dave

edit: To change the email address
Last edited by RudallRose on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

I did try the Eb and D last night. The Eb was really incredible. Very nice. The D is the best delrin flute I've played. Of course Dave made them sound better than I could, but I would definitely recommend these if you're looking for a delrin travelling flute or an Eb.

Paddy is a great guy. I'm sure his customer service will be fantastic. He's a fine flute player which is a real plus. Many of the makers out there don't even play the instrument. Paddy understands what makes a good instrument.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Waiting for the photos of his delrin D flute coming at first because I am still looking for the plastic flute which is worthwhile like the case I experienced on my Sindt whistles. :)
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

The temporary website is up.
Not sure you can get it yet, but it will be at www.WardFlutes.com
Photos are there (thus far....more to be made)
and sound clips to come
dm
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Dave,

I just saw the site - nice looking flutes, and his prices are right on. If I was in the market for a Delrin flute, I'd probably send my business his way...but I'm still happy with my Seery (love the one your with :D ).

Eric
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'm surprised faux ivory doesn't get more use. Pipe makers have been using it for decades. And there is real quality material now, not like bakelite and other substitutes of the past.

Cheers,
Aaron
Rosemary Lane

Many...makers out there don't even play the instrument.

Post by Rosemary Lane »

dlambert wrote:Many of the makers out there don't even play the instrument. Paddy understands what makes a good instrument.
To whom are you referring? I have neither heard of nor met any maker who does not play the instrument he is making. Did you make this up?

I think it more likely that many of the contributors to this forum spend too much of their time "contributing" inane observations like the above, and not enough time playing.
bang

Post by bang »

David Migoya, dlambert & any others who have played one of these:

would you please compare the Ward to the Seery delrin flutes? i'm about to start the 3 week approval period on a Seery, & if there's enough difference i'll see if Paddy could quickly do the same.

tia! /dan
Last edited by bang on Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

New Paddy Ward flutes

Post by lesl »

How undercut is the embouchure hole, say in comparison to the
differences between a Seery's and an Olwell's undercut? I ask this
because I have those, and seem to recall something about Patrick O.
having used a Hawkes as a model too.

I know someone who may need one of these new Paddy Ward flutes, will
be passing along the info given thus far.

Cheers, Lesl
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Paddy is working two types of embouchures, medium and large.
The small are lots of work, although I do know that Chris Wilkes prefers smallish ones, mostly for the focused sound and difference in quality. I believe they're best in the hands of good players who can work it.

The embouchures Paddy has are undercut as much as an Olwell (although differently.....Olwell's are very unique), not as verticle perhaps as several others.
I found them both easy playing, the large with more flexibility, but the medium more refined. On the Eb I prefered the medium and the large for the D. But that's me.

Compared to a Seery or an M&E or a Dixon or a.....whatever in Delrin?
Those are different models.
The Ward Eb is incredible.
The D is extremely good.
I prefer over all the other Delrins that I've played (although it's been a bit since I've tried an M&E Rudall model).
I hope that answers your question. Again, my preference. Some folks might disagree and others not.
But Paddy, I believe, is offering the refund policy, so you can't lose there. At least you'd have tried it.
Either way.
And I heard today that Paddy is for a time going to offer the sterling silver models at the stainless prices. Not a bad deal, I think.
DM
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I heard his Flutes are excellent. :D
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Dave,

Speaking of embouchures. I'll ask this here, so others who may be wondering can find out. Does Paddy offer the opportunity to try headjoints with both embouchures for a period before choosing? Or perhaps purchase two headjoints? I play a large embouchure now, but I'd like to try both. I'm certainly amenable to the benefits of a medium, but would like to see how it plays/sounds.
Corin