The Long Drop - rolls, crans?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jlfinkels
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: How doth the little crocodile
     Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
     On every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems to grin,
     How neatly spreads his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in,
     With gently smiling jaws!

The Long Drop - rolls, crans?

Post by jlfinkels »

I'm looking for some advice with fingering help on the song, "The Long Drop", from Kevin Crawford's "In Good Company" CD. I've been working on the song and have it down except for one problem in the 2nd and 6th measures where you have the following (in abc format for 2nd/6th measure and part of next measure)

GEEE EDB,D|GG G2

I've listened to Kevin's recording repeatedly and put it through the Amazing Slow Downer and it sounds like he is doing a roll on the EEE and a cran on low D for the EDB,D followed by a roll on the GGG2. I'm finding this extremely hard to do at speed, but am working on it.

Am I mistaken about what should be done in those measures? Does anyone who plays this song have any suggestions?

Here's the entire song as I have it in abc format for those interested.

X: 1
T: Long Drop, The
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Gmaj
|:gedg edBA|GEEE EDB,D|GG G2 BABc|dBeB dGBd|
gedg edBA|GEEE EDB,D|GGGA (3Bcd eg|dBAc BG (3Bcd:|
|:gBBA BBgB|BggB aged|cBcd e~eef|gdbg edBd|
gBBA BBgB|BggB aged|cBcd edge|dBAc BG[BG][dG]:|

Thanks for any advice given...

-jeff
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

I've just been working on learning that set,and I know what part you're talking about.I don't have the Amazing Slowdowner,and it is hard to tell exactly what he's doing,at least for me.
I don't have my flute with me at the moment,so I can't try out the bit of ABC you have there,and I can't tell if it's right just from looking at it.
Hopefully someone else knows what it is.If not,I'll try to tell you,once I figure it out(if I ever do).
This was a fairly useless post.
Good luck anyway!
-Kelly
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

FWIW, I've long suspected that those supernaturally clean cranns that Kevin plays are in fact triple-tonguing. I just pop the low B up an octave, myself.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think you're right.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

This is the second tune on the first track of the album.

I just tried that passage, I'd say he's doing a short roll on the EEE but I don't hear any crann on the D, I just hear a D followed by a standard B-c#-d triplet, and then a long roll on the following G.

The passage is a lot easier to play if you split the short E roll across two hands (cut with your left hand, tap with your right); it makes going directly to the next E easier.

Here's a note-by-note tablature:

1. GEEE (really G followed by a short roll on E..the rhythm is DUM-de-diddle-um, with the "DUM" being the G)

xxx ooo
xxx xxo
xoo xxo (or xxo xxo if you prefer)
xxx xxo
xxx xxx
xxx xxo

2. EDBD (actually this should be ED 3Bcd)

Start by cutting the first E in this phrase to help separate it from the E that you just played at the end of the short roll:

xoo xxo (or xxo xxo if you prefer)
xxx xxo

Then go down to D and follow with a B-c#-d triplet

xxx xxx
xoo ooo
ooo ooo
oxx xxx (I'm playing the second-octave D here but you could drop down to the first octave D, I think that's what Kevin is doing)

And then play the long roll on G:

xxx ooo
xoo ooo (or oxx ooo)
xxx ooo
xxx xxo (or xxx xoo)
xxx ooo

For that long roll, it's a nice touch to start out very briefly on the F# and roll your finger off immediately so you slide up the G, it gives it a little more color...I think Kevin's doing this too.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

You know, I just listened again more carefully, and I don't even think he's doing those B-c#-d triplets, he's just goiing directly from B to d. But those triplets work fine there...most flute players have the habit of putting them in whenever you go from B to d, and it's part of Kevin's genius that he leaves them out in this case!
jlfinkels
     On every golden scale!

Post by jlfinkels »

Thanks a bunch everyone. I like Brad's ideas a a lot and will start working on that.

-jeff
Markus

Post by Markus »

I don't have Amazing Slowdowner or any such equipment but I could have sworn he's actually playing the low B there - I mean below the bell note. Does anyone know whether his flute has the keywork to do that?
jlfinkels
     On every golden scale!

Post by jlfinkels »

Yeah, I have to admit that has me confused as well. I've slowed it down and listened over and over, and would swear there is a low B being played on something other than the fiddle.

I don't like the sound of popping the B up an octave though. Maybe someone can offer a different suggestion? Ever since learning to do cran's I'm enamored with 'em. I guess I could do what I originally thought Kevin was doing (until corrected appropriately by Brad and others) and stick a cran on the low D :D
pbar03

Post by pbar03 »

I could have sworn he's actually playing the low B there

I don't know about a low B but I hear 3 rolls in this tricky passage: on E,G and B, with something like EDG between the E and G rolls, and then a breath between the G and B rolls.
Only my two cents.
Pierre
jlfinkels
     On every golden scale!

Post by jlfinkels »

Pierre, I think you're closer than I was. After slowing it down as far as Slow Downer would let me and listening to it in a loop, it sounds like he is doing a roll on the E, a cut on the D and holding it for a beat, then doing a roll on the G. Something like (in ABC format)

G~E3 {F}ED{F}D2|~G3{F}G BABc

In any case I'll stop obsessing on this and just play the darn thing :o Playing the tunes is always more fun than analyzing them.

Thanks everyone for your advice and ideas. This is such a great forum for learning things like this. 8 months ago I never held a flute, now I'm worried about making sure I'm hitting the rolls and cuts just right. Gotta love it.
pbar03

Post by pbar03 »

Something like (in ABC format)

G~E3 {F}ED{F}D2|~G3{F}G BABc

OK, and I can hear a roll on the B, it would make: G~E3 {F}ED{F}D2|~G3{F}G ~B3c
Playing the tunes is always more fun than analyzing them.
And listening carefully to them, as you encouraged us to do, is always extremely rewarding. Kevin's setting of the first part is quite different from the abc you started working on.
jlfinkels
     On every golden scale!

Post by jlfinkels »

Dang, I missed the roll on the B completely. Thanks for the correction.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

jlfinkels wrote:Yeah, I have to admit that has me confused as well. I've slowed it down and listened over and over, and would swear there is a low B being played on something other than the fiddle.
This is an "aural illusion," and it's very convincing, but in fact he really is playing the B an octave above the fiddle. Most good flute players will back off a little on notes like this when playing with a fiddler: Kevin is playing the B pretty softly so the fiddle comes to the fore. The overtones of the fiddle blend with the flute so the combined effect sounds like they're both playing that B below the flute's bottom D. Tunes like this can sound a little odd played solo on the flute; they work best if you're playing with a fiddler or some other instrument that can get those low notes.

I've played Kevin's Grinter flute and I can vouch that there's no keywork that extends its range below C.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

jlfinkels wrote: G~E3 {F}ED{F}D2|~G3{F}G BABc

try this:

GEE2~ EDBD| ~G3A ~B3c|