Someone's Auctioning Terry McGee flute on ebay..

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

This is all very interesting, and in some ways entertaining. Loren probably knows better than most the used-instrument market. It takes a tremendous amount of hard work and time developing contacts, fair pricing and the inventory and reputation. I know myself. It's taken several years (and many lost evenings to my family!)to develop this into a going concern (and a hobby at that!).
But the pricing on some flutes in the secondary market is totally reasonable. Patrick Olwell and I were discussing this very thing the other day, about why he won't raise his prices and is astonished his flutes can command so much more on the secondary market. His reputation allows it to happen. Plus the demand for his flutes is great. He doesn't want to raise prices because he feels he already gets a fair price for his work. But those who covet the flute he makes, and can't bear to wait, are willing to pay the premium. I know when I first started I had an Olwell for sale that lasted exactly 5 minutes. It sold for what Patrick was selling them for. The last Olwell (still photo on the website) I sold went in exactly 5 minutes, but for a few hundred more than what Patrick makes on them. The demand is still there. Who knows in 5 years.
Now, McGee flutes hadn't been in this category until recently (and the eBay pricing is definitely NOT what the market will bear on it....far too inflated) because his waiting list is growing. Same with Wilkes flutes. I sold one privately about a month ago to someone who, without any pricing from me, offered 3X what the seller had asked for it without even knowing what that was. Why? To ensure he got it. He'd been on my "I want this particular flute" list for months and when the Wilkes appeared, I flagged him of its availability.
It's all a matter of degree, I suppose, how far one is willing to go.
Mind you, I got into this strictly to find myself the best flute possible. I've had that flute now for several years. But I've continued because people want a reliable person from whom to buy flutes from, without worrying about whether what they're getting is legit or not.
Many of you on this forum know first-hand my work and my reputation and I thank you for supporting it. I can't see spending X dollars on a McGee from someone I don't even know and risking so much money on a promise. That's why I'm here. To back it up.
So, sadly, there are those willing to take the plunge. I suppose I could sell my whole inventory on eBay. But I do this for the care of the art of flute playing, not the profit margin.
Others don't see it that way.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi David,
That was good post. I just want you to know that I really, really appreciate the work you do, whether it be supplying flutes, educating us about flutes, or restoring flutes. You're a good guy. Flute inflation makes total sense to me, I was just amazed to see such a drastic increase. If I had known that Olwell only sold for a couple hundred more than the original price I might have bought it myself :smile:
Peace,
Chris
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

thanks, Chris
but the word "couple" was relatively speaking of course. It sold for more than that.
By the way, for anyone watching, a beautiful 5-key Healy (see his website!) just came in for sale. :smile: Skip's flutes aren't ready yet to take on higher prices than his new ones, though. Someday maybe, but not yet.
mccormackjohn

Post by mccormackjohn »

It does seem crazy to pay beyond the cost of a new instrument. I would liken it to the stock market - the frenzy is self-perpetuating; the higher it goes the more people seem to belive they must have it, and on it goes. I am a beginner on the flute and am have just ordered a Mcgee Rudall Improved. It will take two years to get but that allows me time (and a very good incentive) to practice and improve in time to take on a master instrument.
The world will always have people who want it now and who will therefore pay a premium. They may, however, get a severe bout of post purchase blues, somewhere down the road.
Has anyone talked to Terry McGee about this?
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Loren,
I'm so glad you posted. May I quote you, the next time you offer a premium whistle for sale?

Also, I have seen some strange things in other areas on ebay over the last couple of weeks. I suspect there are a lot of folks that aren't bidding to purchase for themselves but for others. A less than market knowledgable buyer of the McGee may be just thrilled they are not paying 5K for a silver flute, to give to son, daughter, parent or spouse.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2001-12-14 17:23, LeeMarsh wrote:
Loren,
I'm so glad you posted. May I quote you, the next time you offer a premium whistle for sale?
Yeah, fair enough Lee. I suppose I'd have sold my Healy for 5 grand if someone was willing to pay it :smile: By the way, the USPS seems to have misplaced that particular flute, so I'm not real happy right now :sad:

Anyway, I suppose I should clarify my position: I've got no problem with a used flute selling for a few hundred more than it did new IF A) It is saving someone from a long wait and B) the instrument is in top condition.

What really set me off was the whole thing with this McGee, which looks like it will sell for more than it did new, even though it has a crack that's been poorly repaired by the owner, rather than a woodwind repair professional.

I should also say that I've recently paid double the original selling price for two different O'Riordan whistles. But then Pat is getting well on in age, has a 2+ year waiting list, and doesn't promise that he'll even be making whistles any more in two years....So, it's not like I never partcipate in this madness. I don't much like it though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some overpriced whistles I need to list on the other message board :smile: