Copley Bb

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
splitz

Copley Bb

Post by splitz »

Hello all,

I've been looking into adding a Bb flute to the arsenal.

I had a Copley D some years ago and enjoyed it - although I prefer the Forbes that I play now., The Copley was well made, well in tune with great sound and response. Dave was a joy to deal with, so I have no qualms on that front - he's the real deal.

Anyone have any experience with the Copley Bb they'd like to share?

To be honest, it's such a good price that I may just take the plunge anyway!

Thanks all.
Alex Z
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello folks, I am a Chinese player interested in Irish music. Want to find the learning resources I want in the forum.

Re: Copley Bb

Post by Alex Z »

Dave makes beautiful D flutes, his Bb has the same quality.
I have found that the Bb as a practice flute is effective for stretching the fingers and improving your embouchure. when you finish the Bb and go back to the D, you find the D so much easier!
splitz

Post by splitz »

Thanks for your reply.

In my other musical life, I'm a tuba player. I practice on the big contrabass and perform mainly on the smaller bass tuba - so I'm on board with the 'over training' idea.

I've gone ahead and ordered one and Dave says should be ready by end of August. I did think more people might have some experience to share, given the many recommendations for his flutes on here. I'll report back when it arrives.

I'd still be very interested to hear anyone's experiences.

Thanks all
Tradman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

I played one of the Bb flutes that Dave had at his shop last July (2023). It was the first Bb that I'd ever attempted to play and naturally was quite different from the D that I have, but manageable. I like it enough to order a C Body for my six key D from him. I'm not sure if Dave or his son Alan is making the Bb, but it (even in Delrin) seemed to be very nice.