Antique flute prices

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
karl
antispam: No

Antique flute prices

Post by karl »

I came across this flute on eBay. The current bid price looks reasonable, but I have no idea what antique flutes in this condition usually sell for. Does anyone else?
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Antique flute prices

Post by jemtheflute »

If it's fully fettled, it ought to command at least £1K IMO, even in today's slack market. It'll be interesting to see the upshot. If anyone gets it for less, they're doing well, especially as it's pretty much a full original kit. The vendor is Paul McGlinchey.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

There was a similar Boosey advertised as being in immaculate condition and presumably sold on Done Deal a few months ago.
The advertised price was 850 euros.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

It's getting harder to predict the ultimate outcome of antique flute auction sales, as the downward spiral in values appears to be continuing. The last couple of Boosey Prattens I've noticed recently went for around the £700. mark ( neither as well appointed and in as good condition as this example ) but I suppose, as with all auctions, it just needs two people bidding who want it badly enough to throw all predictions out of the window, and this one has just been given further advertising space.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Probably many people watching this instrument. Nice original box with keys, and accessories to boot. What year would this have been made, would this be a high-pitched Boosey?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

There's a video linked in eBay. Play along and see! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMb-ECqn9KU
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

Well Thomas, If Terry Mc Gee's chart is accurate, the last on the table is serial no. 19334 and this is listed as around 1910.? The question mark would appear to make this a guesstimate. So it may be early 20th. Century. see link below:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Prattens-Extant.htm
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

£695 = €904 = 8507 Swedish kronor = $1,010. Cheap for a working 8-key vintage or modern simple system flute. Hope it plays at A=440
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Well, £695.00 is incredibly close to the £700 estimate that TWO TOOTS gave.
Antique flutes certainly aren't going for the prices they used to get, and if the forum was not alerted this one might have gone for even less. In this market, the only Boosey eight key flutes that would push much higher would be those rare examples that are marked "R.S. Pratten's Perfected."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Steampacket wrote:Hope it plays at A=440
Did you check out the video demo for pitch? I'm not in a position to over the weekend.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
megapop

Post by megapop »

Well here's the flutini analysis:

It's hard to tell from the clip, but to me it looks as if he has the tuning slide all pushed in... so maybe he just didn't make any attempt to get it anywhere close to A=440Hz?
return null;
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I checked it using a tone generator, and I got roughly D=600hz, which would put it at about A=450. But he did have the tuning slide pretty much all of the way in, so I'm guessing it could be played at 440. I thought about bidding on it, about £700 would have been my limit due to my budget. Seems like a nice flute at a good price for whoever snapped it up.
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

bigsciota wrote " I thought about bidding on it, about £700 would have been my limit due to my budget."

It's a pity you didn't take the plunge - you might have bid just enough to take it. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it would have been satisfying to know a forum member came through.
paddler

Post by paddler »

I asked the seller about the pitch. He initially thought it was fairly high pitched, but after checking it he said:

"Hi, just checked it. Actually is better than I thought, in tune with slide out about 1cm. Sounding length is 58cm."

In light of this information I decided to bid on this one, but I was too cheap to win it, as usual! I have noticed that I am nearly always the second highest bidder, which means I basically determine the selling price, but don't actually win. :swear:

I guess it is a very small market, and if I stopped bidding, you guys would get your flutes for half the price! :lol:
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

TWO TOOTS wrote: It's a pity you didn't take the plunge - you might have bid just enough to take it. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it would have been satisfying to know a forum member came through.
Yeah, it is a lovely flute. But I only saw it last night, and while it sounds like a great flute, I tend to like to take my time with purchases to make sure I know what I'm getting into (especially if I'm sending $1,000 to an ebay seller for an instrument I haven't played). I'll be ready to buy a good keyed flute soon enough, though, and it's heartening to know there are some nice ones for much less than the $3,000 newly made ones usually go for.