worth noting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

worth noting

Post by RudallRose »

this video clip shows a very talented player .... with a finger posture that simply should not produce the quality of ornaments he is getting......going to show that doesn't matter how you hold the flute, only the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUhw ... ISXPg-Xzx4
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: worth noting

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I didn't notice anything too unusual. He's got somewhat longer fingers than normal, but that's about it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Ah. Tommi. I used to count him as a good friend, but he sees to have ditched me for reasons that I don't understand. :-? :(
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

....going to show that doesn't matter how you hold the flute, only the results!
I find the apparently involuntary exaggerated movements of the player's left pinky to be quite fascinating ... but the music is very pleasant to listen to ... whatever it takes that doesn't hurt :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Of course, Tommi has always maintained that you can only get ornaments like his by holding the flute that way.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

RudallRose wrote:with a finger posture that simply should not produce the quality of ornaments he is getting
Right. Other than the dancing pinkie/pinky finger I don't see anything unusual. Am I missing something?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Looks fairly normal to me...pinkies are like singer's faces...they're always doing something weird the performer is not aware of.

Lovely playing, and I'd forgotten about the Moving Cloud. I wanted to learn it when I was a new player, set it aside for later but later never came. So....guess which reel I'm learning next? :P

Eric
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Jayhawk wrote:Looks fairly normal to me...pinkies are like singer's faces...they're always doing something weird the performer is not aware of.

Lovely playing, and I'd forgotten about the Moving Cloud. I wanted to learn it when I was a new player, set it aside for later but later never came. So....guess which reel I'm learning next? :P

Eric
The Moving Cloud is much much easier than it seems. :)
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Ben - you're dead on mate. Looking at the dots on the session.org, it's not bad at all. I think I last attempted it back in 2000 or so.

Eric
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

When I was learning the Moving Cloud, I found that this alternate fingering of high C makes things a lot easier: OXX XXO. Just don't blow too hard or you'll get high a...ouch!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Gabriel wrote:When I was learning the Moving Cloud, I found that this alternate fingering of high C makes things a lot easier: OXX XXO. Just don't blow too hard or you'll get high a...ouch!
Yeah. REALLY high A!!! :o
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

So many people comment on the pinky thing. I do it on all the stuff I play: whistles, pipes, flutes....It comes from playing the Bohme style flute where you almost always vent Eb. It just becomes automatic. I think my Copley sounds best when the Eb is vented anyways and I had Dave tune it accordingly.

This guys a great player!
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Caspermilktoast wrote:So many people comment on the pinky thing. I do it on all the stuff I play: whistles, pipes, flutes....It comes from playing the Bohme style flute where you almost always vent Eb. It just becomes automatic. I think my Copley sounds best when the Eb is vented anyways and I had Dave tune it accordingly.

This guys a great player!
With Tommi it definitely doesn't come from playing a Boehm style flute. ASAIK he's never played one, and he certainly hasn't for many years. And he's not all that many years old! (Relatively. :) )
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Which pinky was Feadoggie referring to ?
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I saw that vid the other day and the first thing I noticed was the draped-over (piper's) grip on the upper hand. I've tried that on my flute but I have to roll the upper section so that the g# key is almost completely under the long f key. I find that a piper's grip is tough to pull off on a keyed flute.

Then of course I noticed the pinky. :)

Kirk