Foot keys -click clack of the pewter onto the strike plates

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Foot keys -click clack of the pewter onto the strike plates

Post by Holmes »

I'm interested to know if people find the noise of the foot joint keys (with pewter plugs and silver (or metal) strike plates) irritating or if, like me, they actually prefer the rhythmic clatter.

This is an example of the (H&Mc) foot keys in use; https://app.box.com/s/oh3givl2xfuhe74fnutp
The key noise cuts through even when the drum comes in.

It maybe best to consider equivalent key noises from other instruments too, in this case they are made to become part of the music; http://youtu.be/AHq3GcWjY3s
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Re: Foot keys -click clack of the pewter onto the strike plates

Post by radcliff »

I do find it irritating, especially in classical music.
I add some oil to the plug every time I need to use the lower keys. My main flute has the Eb plug too and have it oiled makes the flute play better & reduce the noise to minimum.
Then I wonder: Why those wonderful maker from the 19th century have not opted for a different solution?
(I know Monzani used different Keys as well as few others).
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I suppose I find it mildly annoying, maybe depending on context, and (nonsensically) would like them better if they didn't clack, but it's also not a majorly bothersome issue for me, and I use them quite a bit.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I love the clack off the foot joint of my Blackman flute.

I had a pin mounted flute with pads and that were noiseless but I prefer the whompf.

Then again maybe I'm perverse I love the sound of one row Hohners clacking and wheezing.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'd add that often part of the noise is not actually the pewters onto the plates but looseness at the tongue and hole connection at the articulation of the "grasshopper" keys and/or the undersides of any of the 4 elements of them hitting the wood body. All of those noises can usually be eliminated by careful adjustment of the action and appropriate cork buffering (renewal/additional).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Nice playing!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Nice playing!
:thumbsup:
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I'd prefer if it wasn't there but it doesn't bother me too much
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

For what it's worth, I like it, along with breath noises and the occasional crossing noise. It's nice to know there's a human playing it.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Me too! I like to hear those low notes coming! Part of it is just having those low notes, and the other is the notion that this is a historical instrument-not something new, and it sounds as it should and did sound to the flute players of yore.

Have a listen to Christy Barry on WFO3, track no.4 on An Buachaillín Bán. And if you don't like the clacking keys on that tune, then there's no hope for you.
~~~~
Barry
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

greenspiderweb wrote:Have a listen to Christy Barry on WFO3, track no.4 on An Buachaillín Bán. And if you don't like the clacking keys on that tune, then there's no hope for you.
I couldn't agree more, It is long time since a slow air moved me in such a way, and the use of the keys in this version that make it so special, Christy Barry's version of this Dear Irish Boy.
I do a set on the same CD and play a Dmin hornpipe using the foot joint (second CD, first track)

H
https://app.box.com/s/oh3givl2xfuhe74fnutp
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'm not annoyed by the clacking. I'm actually extremely used to the overall feel of pewter plug foot joints and find it irritating when they're not clacking...

I got some comments from studio people in the past, some even tried to remove the clacking with hyper modern audio editing software. I asked them not to do it, as I find it's a part of the instrument's sound.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

for what it's worth, Norm, Charles Nicholson abhorred the noise and his flutes were to have the key cups. Many did, but not all, as several Clementi flutes show.