Metzler flute [spotted] on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sumaire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Metzler flute [spotted] on ebay

Post by Sumaire »

Not sure if anyone is interested but there's a Metzler currently posted on Ebay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131055344566?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
Christine
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Metzler flute [spotted] on ebay

Post by Steampacket »

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Looks very much like an anonymous AL stamped flute I used to have including the box, and rings. Mine was pin mounted but same looking keys.
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

Re the Metzler , those look pretty big for "hairline cracks", the pads look to be in an awful condition , no c nat key , having said that I think it looks nice!
(no I'm not bidding)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Vendor of Metzler's vaunted research not too good - Langwill has Metzler at 105 Wardour St. from 1812 and seemingly with that simple form of the firm name until the mid-1830s (not clear when it changed in my 5th Edn) - a much more sensible date range for the general style of the flute. The auction house were well off dating it pre C19th! Given the period, it is probably happiest tuned in the A=430 or even lower range - not saying it won't play at 440 usably, but not likely to be its best tone and intonation. It is very pretty, though the lack of long C and F keys would put me off it.

That other flute with the nastily-visibly pinned cracks is on its 3rd relisting.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Wow! "Common hairline cracks." I swear you can see right through one of them, and the embouchure hole is completely distorted. (Yes, I know these things can be fixed, but still ...)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

If it is like the early Metzler I had, the tuning was more in the 425 range. The foot is probably 145mm and you notice the space between the E hole and the foot. So expect a flat foot of 50+cents.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

"A fool and his/ her money are soon parted."
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

psychodonald wrote:"A fool and his/ her money are soon parted."
Pretty much sums up my life... :sniffle:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Surely not Jon, you, in my mind, would be one of the exceptions to the rule.
psychodonald

Post by psychodonald »

My last post didn't sound quite right, what I meant to say, Jon, is that you're certainly no fool!!! When I looked at that Metzler Flute, all I could see is a lot of expense/ time, and the bid starting at $800.00 was a lot considering the condition (IMO), especially those "normal hair line cracks" which looked like you could drive a beer truck through.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

psychodonald wrote:My last post didn't sound quite right, what I meant to say, Jon, is that you're certainly no fool!!! When I looked at that Metzler Flute, all I could see is a lot of expense/ time, and the bid starting at $800.00 was a lot considering the condition (IMO), especially those "normal hair line cracks" which looked like you could drive a beer truck through.
Well, I have a few of these in the pile of flutes, just sayin...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

It's fine line between flute maker and lamp craftsman. :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
apossibleworld
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by apossibleworld »

I actually thought that Metzler looks pretty fantastic. Those ivory rings are special and give a really nice effect. Not something you see everyday. Flutes like this deserve to be brought back. I wish I had the skills to do that kind of work myself.