Rudall & Rose Flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
nollaigof
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rudall & Rose Flute for sale

Post by nollaigof »

I have an authentic Rudall & Rose Orchestral wood flute from 1820.
The flute is in perfect condition and has been frequently played by me for the past 25 years.
It is made from rosewood with silver fittings.
There are no cracks, splits and all blocks are pinned and sound.
The serial nos is 721; hallmark Rudall & Rose, Nos 15 Plaza, Convent Garden, London.
It is also in it's original casing, and the original case is included in the sale.
Estimate has been given for €4,000.0 and I waiting to hear from Bonhams to provide a certificate of value.
The flute tunes well throughout its range, and there is good scope for the tuning slide to play in concert pitch.
Photos are available on request.

I also have a wooden piccolo flute that I have not dated, but as it is keyed, i suspect mid 1800's also.

I would like to proceed asap with a sale as I am invested in an alternate instrument; so your offer will be seriously considered.

Nollaig Ó Fiongháile
Irish Research Council' New Ideas Awardee
Dublin Institute of Technology' Fiosraigh Scholar
Research & Development Advisor for Creative Arts & Media
T: +353 1 5328133
E: n.ofionghaile@icloud.com
Last edited by nollaigof on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
crookedtune

Re: Rudall & Rose Flute for sale

Post by crookedtune »

My first reaction is that you've reached the right audience. But that's a lot of flute to be offering up in such an anonymous way. Care to introduce yourself to the group?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Rosewood, or cocus wood?

Please post photos and serial #, if any.

Thanks, Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Welcome Nollaig!! Excuse me for nitpicking, but I don't think Rudall & Rose started making flutes together before 1821? Also the bottom seems to have dropped out of the old English flute market this last year or so, but you never know, if you find the right buyer... all the best
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

A serial number and some pictures would be great :)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
nollaigof

Post by nollaigof »

ok, thanks for all the enquiries and the information collated so far:

An authentic Rudall & Rose Orchestral wood flute from ca 1820 for sale.
The flute is in perfect condition and has been frequently played by me for the past 25 years.
It is made from rosewood with silver fittings.
There are no cracks, splits and all blocks are pinned and sound.
The serial nos is 721; hallmark Rudall & Rose, Nos 15 Plaza, Convent Garden, London.
It is also in it's original casing, and the original case is included in the sale.
Estimate has been given for €4,000.0 and I waiting to hear from Bonhams to provide a certificate of value.
The flute tunes well throughout its range, and there is good scope for the tuning slide to play in concert pitch.
Photos are available on request.

I also have a wooden piccolo flute that I have not dated, but as it is keyed, i suspect mid 1800's also. I do not see a hallmark and it is made from a hardwood, looks like rosewood also.

Nollaig Ó Fiongháile
Irish Research Council' New Ideas Awardee
Dublin Institute of Technology' Fiosraigh Scholar
Research & Development Advisor for Creative Arts & Media

T: +353 1 5328133
E: n.ofionghaile@icloud.com
S: nollaigofionghaile
G+ n.ofionghaile
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Serial number 721 should be at Coventry Garden but not in 1821. That would be Tavistock I think?

Slightly unusual posting full personal contact details here but Nollaig's professional contact details are easily available on the web if anyone needs to verify whether she's the seller.

http://www.gradcam.ie/people.php
Mark
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Looks like a lovely Rudall and Rose! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

These are the photos I were sent... I have no idea if the sale is legit...

"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Looks a lot like my Wylde. The key cups don't look very deep, I thought it was the norm to have them more round at that time.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

LorenzoFlute wrote:Looks a lot like my Wylde. The key cups don't look very deep, I thought it was the norm to have them more round at that time.
I have seen both, but most of the keys from that period were deep salt spoon. Not really any set design, it probably hinged on the customer, as it does in the present day. I can here the customer say, "Gee, can you make the key cups a little lower?"
We sometimes forget that Rudall and Rose were businessmen, and the customer is always right! :P
Michael Flatley

Jon
nollaigof

Post by nollaigof »

I bought the flute from Stephen Chambers at the Willie Clancy about 32 years ago; he still remembers it, it is a sweet one. I played it for about 15 years then progressively moved over to the low whistles. I am not in the session scene and haven't done gigs for 20 years so you'll not know me from the flute scene. Nevertheless, it is a legit sale and I am legit as you can follow my track record on the net.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Some of you might have noticed that the seller of the Rudall posted that I had the flute in my possession for consideration. I asked her to delete my name from the post and she kindly did so.
If anybody would like my impression of the flute please send me an email and I will respond. This will not be an evaluation of the flute's value or an estimation of what it might sell for on the open market.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
nollaigof

Post by nollaigof »

Thanks for the feedback all and the heads up on differing values and differing markets. The questions raised are probably best answered by way of valuers of flutes of the period on the open market. I will proceed with getting a full appraisal and certification from Bonham's auctioneers of fine art and antiques/ instrument department in the UK. I am not an expert in these matters and I would prefer to back up a sale with as much documentation and research as possible. I'll post an update as soon as i receive further information.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

The address is accurate for this serial number
No 15 Piazza/Covent Garden/London