FS: Wilkes Boxwood Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Re: FS: Wilkes Boxwood Flute

Post by Julia Delaney »

I seem to accumulate boxwood instruments (not really by intention, though they do go nicely with my hair)...

Bless you. Come visit us! Bring your hair.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
upooper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by upooper »

I had the flute for about 12 years before selling it to libraryman. The warp would come and go with the seasons and how much i played it. After a while I always kept in a humidified tupperware container and well oiled. And cleaned out after playing and oiled periodically.

is a great flute aesthetics aside, am wish it well on it's travels and tunes.

michael copeland always called it the "Texas Flute" because it was loud and flashy, he also said it was like a puppy always wanting to be played.

kandahar is hyper-arid and a flute or anything wood would crack quite quickly, I'm sure steampacket has enjoyed the stories of maiwand and other battle fields of that area, such a sorrow filled country filled with lovely people and a few headcases some being from NATO or coalition forces.

still quite happy with my stevan morvan flute which interestingly has a longer middle pratten joint than the wilkes.

have fun
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Aw, thanks, D. :) Will you ever be in the Great Northeast (or even the Midwest) again, or are you lost to Clare? Larry and I are trying to figure out how to have that happen to us ... anyway, you're welcome to stay anytime.

And Bil, I'm still kicking myself for not catching up with you at the Tionól this year. It was so crazy! Our Sunday-morning tunes a couple years ago with the Texas Flash are among my favorite memories. I hope you're doing well.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
upooper

Post by upooper »

Thanks, gavin's is always madness, to much going on, and i'm feeling my age lol. I'm in Philly, back just over a year and will be here for awhile until i make my way to nakong suwan thailand, haven't been to Clare or Ireland, don't have the desire though would love to go to asturius.

hopefully see you again at the NE Tylenol next year or maybe St. Louis, off to thailand next month ahhhhhhhhh.

have fun
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Bil, forgive me for selling your flute. You drove way out of your way to deliver those rings thanks. it wasn't for money, I just did not have the power for it, but am definitely grateful for the chance to have owned it for awhile. Hope we catch up some time.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I'm sure steampacket has enjoyed the stories of maiwand and other battle fields of that area, such a sorrow filled country filled with lovely people and a few headcases some being from NATO or coalition forces." Bill

Aye Bill, headcases abound all around. I also have a relative who was there, Francis Younghusband during the tíme of the "Great Game". Rory Stewarts documentary "Afghanistan - The great game" is worth watching for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a7bP49ehKQ

Bill and libraryman have been curators of this distinctive Wilkes flute, "The Texas fancy". I wonder who has it now, and it will be interesting to follow it's path and see whose hands it passes through.