Plastic Chanter Reeds

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
projektio28
antispam: No

Plastic Chanter Reeds

Post by projektio28 »

Hey guys,

I own a set of Gibson "ceilidh" pipes, and I have been having issues with one of my chanter reeds for it. It is the same similar type of plastic reed that you would find in a Gibson (or other manufacturer) practice chanter.

Here is the problem, it seems that I just can't put the right amount of pressure on the bag, without the reed 100% cutting out when I play it. Now I have encountered this same issue on my practice chanter, but by simply easing up on the pressure, I can adjust it enough to not cause this problem.

I guess what I am saying is that this particular reed in my ceilidh pipes is super sensitive to pressure. Is there anything I can do physically to the reed to fix this, or am I better off ordering another reed and tossing this one?

Any advice is appreciated!

Matt
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Try inflating the bag and use just your arm to bring in the reeds, not your breath. You'll find you have finer control with our arm and you'll just need to blow enough to keep your bag inflated.

It appears that Gibson has different reeds for their smallpipes than for their practice chanters. I would guess that the Ceilidh pipes use the same reeds as the Firesides. Check with Gibson.
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

Thanks Aaron... Yeah I will probably end up checking with Gibson about getting another one.

Also, as for arm pressure I am most certainly using the arm to keep the pressure steady, not too much and not too little, similar to my GHB.

The problem is that the slightest amount of pressure causes the reed to shut off, unlike the same type of reed in my wife's set of Gibson fireside pipes which sounds fine.

I was hoping I could salvage the reed somehow, but maybe like cane reeds these plastic ones can wear out eventually!

Matt
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a Gibson practice chanter that has a large, square Northumbrian Smallpipe style reed in it (not the traditional narrow practice chanter style of reed). The practice chanter cap has a much larger bore that normal to accomodate the reed.
So, it's not a PC at all, but a smallpipe chanter with a cap.
It has a great, full, bubbly tone quite unlike the tone of PCs.
It's very stable.
Perhaps you just have a bum reed. I've gone through a box of around 50 Gibson reeds and they vary quite a bit. The one I chose takes little pressure but delivers a rich tone. Some of the reeds required a lot of pressure and would be more suited to playing in a bag.
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

It may not be your reed. If the same reed sounds good in another set of pipes, it may mean that you have a leak in your bag or stocks. Take some small corks and plug up the drone stocks and chanter stock. If the bag isn't holding air well, your reeds are never going to be steady or cooperative.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

Good idea, I didn't think about testing out the reed in my other set of pipes! Man I am dumb, DUH!!

Will give that a go, and yes, I do need to check both sets for leaks in general, as we have had them both awhile, but never ran into "huge" problems...

Matt