tilting the box away from you?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
tedrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tilting the box away from you?

Post by tedrick »

Hi Everyone -
watching vids on youtube ect - I notice that a lot of box players tilt the box out and away at an angle from their chest instead of hugging the box tight up against you -- what's the deal with that? What are the benefits to holding the box out away from your body?
Thanks,
Ted
Accordionly yours,
Tedrick Schmenke
Ro3b

Re: tilting the box away from you?

Post by Ro3b »

If you play using one strap, tilitng the box forward lets you brace the lower front corner of the box against the outside of your thigh. I also find it puts my right arm in a more comfortable position.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Most of those players are probably anchoring the treble cabinet against the outside of the left thigh (sometimes the inside of the right thigh), or balancing a corner pressing into the left thigh, to provide resistance against the push of the bellows. You need to tilt to do this. Sharon Shannon is a classic example of the outside the left leg style.

Players who use two straps, or who use one strap but keep the box sitting flat on the thigh, would generally not tilt it away from their body. Does this tally with what you are observing?

Ha.. Rob beat me to it.
tedrick

Post by tedrick »

Hi Rob and Steve -
yeah -- I can see what you mean -- perhaps if I would have seen this when I started playing I would have done this -- now when I try the tilt, the box feels all weeble/wobbly -- I can see what you mean about having the right hand in a more comfortable position -- as I hold the box, the right side is tight up against my stomach. I don't know... I guess it doesn't really make a difference...
Accordionly yours,
Tedrick Schmenke
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Personally, I think it's just the natural human instinct to push the darn thing as far away from you as you possibly can.

:lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.