Newbie Question

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Don Roberts
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newbie Question

Post by Don Roberts »

Hi All, I have been working on the Uilleann pipe and have decided to add to my madness by taking up the button accordian. I have practiced some on a C key Cajun box and am looking to buy a two row irish box. I haven't decided which key yet but my question is, regardless of what key the scale is the same, right ? Also, would the base be diatonic as well ? I have read the posts that discuss the keys most favored for irish material, that being C#/D and B/C. The D/G not so much so. However, check out Cathy Cook on You Tube :o
TaylorMartin

Post by TaylorMartin »

If you are asking if the intervals fall the same way on a two row as they do on the one row Cajun, then yes they do. Since both the B/C and C#/D accordion are "half step" boxes the keyboards are alike except for the full tone difference. You can play the same tune on either box, but the fingering would be different. I play a B/C box, and if I play in the key of D, I play cross row for the 3rd (F#) and the 7th (C#) notes. A C#/D player would play the same tune up and down the D row. It is easier to get started playing Irish music on a C#/D box and it requires more bellows movement than on a B/C box.
Are the basses diatonic as well? Yes, they are/Not always. The standard bass setup is diatonic, but there are some setups that are not. My accordion has the "Joe Burke" basses which has diatonic basses on the top row, not on the bottom row. so that I have a D and a G in both directions on the same buttons.
While the D/G box can indeed play a lot of Irish tunes, it is more limited in the number of keys that can be played on it. The half-step boxes are more flexible because of the number of accidentals on the outer row.

If you are looking for a decent accordion you might like to speak to Michael at Irish Dancemaster http://www.irishdancemaster.com. I bought one of his accordions about 3 months ago, and I love it! It plays very fast, and the sound is incredible! The price was comperable to the Hohner that I was considering, but I think I got a better instrument.

TM
Don Roberts
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Don Roberts »

Thanks Taylor, yes I have checked out the Dancemaster website. Would be nice to have some good sound samples demonstrating the different keys all playing the same tune.
I'm not real excited about the plastic housing on those boxes but I noticed your black instrument from a previous post. It looks nice. Which reeds and tuning did you choose ?
TaylorMartin

Post by TaylorMartin »

I wasn't crazy about the plastic parts either, but Michael won't make a wood box (I asked), so I got one in black. It really does look good. However, if you look at the Paulo Soprani, it is also plastic, and people seem to like them pretty good!

As I said, mine is a 2 voice B/C box, it is tuned "Dry". I bought the up-graded reeds (the D-A Binci) and got the custom bass setup.
My basses look like this:
e/a d/d
E/A D/D
c/f g/g
C/F G/G
Give Michael a call. He is C#/D player, and he likes to talk about accordions! He is a super guy to work with.
Good Luck!
TM