cello and whistle duets

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
spinningtrees
antispam: No

cello and whistle duets

Post by spinningtrees »

My wife plays the cello, and I play whistle. Anybody know of some good songs that would work for both instruments?
I have a Goldie low whistle on order, and I think that might have a nice sound with the cello, but also high whistles might work too.
One other thing, I play only by ear and my wife "only" reads music! :P
ned o the hill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: cello and whistle duets

Post by ned o the hill »

Sláinte,

A quick search on YouTube only turns up a couple of classical pieces for cello and flute duets. Substitute a low whistle for the flute; your mileage may vary....

Alistair Fraser and Natalie Haas have at least one CD of all fiddle/cello trad duets: "Fire & Grace." Not much help t you, I know, but it's a nice album.
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Unless your wife's a singing cellist, I recommend tunes.

Cello provides excellent accompaniment to most any air, and sounds great with low whistles. How about 'Ned o' the Hill'?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I believe that Mary Bergin's folk/classical band Dordán often arranges tunes with Dearbhail Standun playing cello rather than fiddle.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

Try the section on Tunes with a Bass in my collection of Scottish flute tunes.

http://www.campin.me.uk/Flute/Webreleas ... /Flute.htm
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

My wife also plays cello (and sings) we play duets all the time, tunes and songs - it works well - of course I could be biased.
Just pick a tune you both like. In the case of ITM she usually doubles me some of the time, and works out her own accompaniment for the rest. I make my own whistles and while I usually play high D and occasionally C whistles I have also used low G, and A and occasionally high Eb and E. They all work!

@ned o the hill why is 'Fire and Grace' not much help, whistles can play many of the same things fiddles can. My wife uses some of same techniques that Natalie uses - she attended one of Alasdair Fraser's camps in California, and we have the CD.

We have a few things written out - but mostly play by ear, I might be able to find a few things if dots would help you to get some ideas.

edit - just off to play, going try a few of the Scottish duets posted above (thanks) - I'll let you know my favorite in a bit
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot