Experience with Gliga Violins? Advice for first fiddle buy.

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Whistler from Oz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

Experience with Gliga Violins? Advice for first fiddle buy.

Post by Whistler from Oz »

Hi there

I'm normally a whistle player, but I am about to embark on a journey into Trad Fiddle Playing :party:

That being said, I am now looking at buying my first Fiddle. :boggle:

I have $300 (AUD) to spend and I have the current option to buy a Gliga Violin which the first owner has originally purchased for $1,000 and subsequently played only 3 times.

Does anyone have experience with this brand of violin?

Are there any other brands I should be looking at in my price-range??

Many thanks
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
Whistler from Oz
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

Re: Experience with Gliga Violins? Advice for first fiddle buy.

I just found out the violin has the following type on the label "nelle officine GLIGA
Fecit Anno 458.11.2002 " and I'm told it is a Gems model Gliga.

The current price of the Gems 2 is $458 USD and Gems 1 $338.

I'm starting to think that $300 AUD is too much for a 6 year old Gems Model.
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Any violin which has been played regularly will sound better thanone that's been on the shelf for a time, but the effect isn't permanent.

I'd recommend renting, frankly, because its easy to spend a lot of money on a fiddle and its an instrument you have to commit to. I can hack around on a mandolin and sound OK just by copping bouzouki and tenor banjo licks, even if I haven't been playing much and never worked hard at actually learning to play it. The same amount of effort devoted to fiddle would get me nowhere.

As for cost, with E. European and chinese violins you can get a pretty good beginner's axe for 2-5 hundred US or Canadian dollars. I dunno what means in aussie curency. Be aware that the cheaper german violins are very likely east european in origin. EU trade rules allow them import completed violins in the white, varnish them, and then stick a made in germany label on them.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

That's one of the smartest things I've ever heard Simon say, and Simon's a pretty smart guy. A couple of month's rental is a very good investment. Not just because you will learn about what you really want in a fiddle, but to give yourself the opportunity to explore the instrument without committing huge bucks to the effort.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Whistler from Oz

[quote="s1m0n"]
I'd recommend renting, frankly, because its easy to spend a lot of money on a fiddle and its an instrument you have to commit to. I can hack around on a mandolin and sound OK just by copping bouzouki and tenor banjo licks, even if I haven't been playing much and never worked hard at actually learning to play it. The same amount of effort devoted to fiddle would get me nowhere.
quote]

Thanks for this advice Simon :)
I understand your point Simon regarding renting vs buying.

I intend to buy second hand at a fair cost, as I'd rather own and play a violin for 6 months, then sell at roughly the same cost and buy something different to try it out. I've done this many times with my growing tin whistle collection. As I can buy a good range of violin's locally (ala - no postage costs), this is the way I hope to do it.

That being said, are there any there any brands/models that - purchased second hand - would fit into my $300 AUD (Roughly $260-270 USD) price bracket that would be a decent sounding starter violin. I am loathe to buy a cheap set-up for $60 (I've seen them) because as a long term musician, my ear can tell the difference between something that is horrid and something that's ok. I'd probably leave a horrid violin in the cupboard, knowing myself.

BTW - They were all very good points in your post - thanks :thumbsup:
Best wishes
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I'm normally a whistle player...I'd rather own and play a violin for 6 months, then sell at roughly the same cost and buy something different to try it out.
Spoken like a true whistle player, before you know it you'll have a house full of fiddles too :wink:

Seriously though, good luck with it. I don't know how much access you have to other musicians locally but it might be worth asking around if anyone has one they would lend you for six months as a learner (I can think of at least two people who did that to start). That way you also have contact with someone who might know if you had it set up right etc.

One of the most beautiful sounding fiddle players I know found hers is a rubbish skip on the street. It's the only fiddle she plays. :boggle:
Mark
Whistler from Oz

MarkP wrote:
I'm normally a whistle player...I'd rather own and play a violin for 6 months, then sell at roughly the same cost and buy something different to try it out.
Spoken like a true whistle player, before you know it you'll have a house full of fiddles too :wink:

Seriously though, good luck with it. I don't know how much access you have to other musicians locally but it might be worth asking around if anyone has one they would lend you for six months as a learner (I can think of at least two people who did that to start). That way you also have contact with someone who might know if you had it set up right etc.

One of the most beautiful sounding fiddle players I know found hers is a rubbish skip on the street. It's the only fiddle she plays. :boggle:
:lol:

You know me too well Mark - My whistle collection is burgeoning at a rate of knots and now I'm throwing a fiddle into the mix. It's all good though.
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

MarkP wrote:

Lucky girl first for finding one on a skip and then for it sounding, to her, so wonderfull that she playes nothing else.

Having embarked on the same journey 10 months ago I can recommend the renting route. It takes so long to get a decent sound out of the thing and when you play any fiddle, even the same maker, they sound quite different when you have them perched under your ear.
Go to a rental shop and start at the cheapest and just get the assistant to play a few notes. You will find one you quite like.
I am now at the stage where I want to purchase one and it is a minefield. I was in a shop yesterday. The Yamaha £289 sounded great untill I played the £1000 one. Then I went to another shop and played their second hand ones and the £499 sounded really nice except for the G string which sounded a bit weak. Now was that the old strings or was it the violin? I don't know enough about it - yet.

If your friend has only played it three times, the thing that comes into my mind is why only three times.

Rent first is my advice otherwise you will end up with a house full
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

A few random thoughts that might help you out.

* Violins don't depreciate.

* Setup is important.

* Setup is hard to evaluate if you don't play.

* At the bottom end (below us$1000), the bow is at least as important as the fiddle.

* At the bottom end, the included bow is probably not good enough.

It will probably take a beginner at least a year of regular practice to get a decent tone, and you probably won't make much progress without a good teacher. Teaching one's self violin is like teaching one's self Japanese.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

My husband has bought and enjoyed several Gliga violins and has recommended them to others in the past. I'll ask him to comment on this thread when he gets a chance.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Whistler from Oz wrote:I just found out the violin has the following type on the label "nelle officine GLIGA
Fecit Anno 458.11.2002 " and I'm told it is a Gems model Gliga.

The current price of the Gems 2 is $458 USD and Gems 1 $338.

I'm starting to think that $300 AUD is too much for a 6 year old Gems Model.

You got the prices back-to-front, the Gems 2 is $330 and the Gems 1 $458.

The person trying to sell this Gliga Gems was either ripped off or is lying, if they say they paid $1,000 for it. You can currently get a Gama, the next grade above Gems, for $800, and Maestro for between $1,500 and $7,500.

I would agree $300 is too much to pay for it second hand (does that include a bow and case?) when you can get one new for not much more, thoguh there's nothing wrong with second hand as fiddles usually age well if looked after. I don't know renting rates, but I'd have though it'd add up quite fast. I'd offer $200 for it.

Regarding Gligas themselves, I have several (a Gama, a Gems 2 Viola and Gems 5-string), and love them, and have recommended them to friends who have also been very happy with their purchases. People who have tried them think they cost a lot more than they do. One maker on Fiddleforum thinks them too heavy, but when I bought one of their fiddles I didn't like its feel and tone and ended up selling it, so it's really down to personal preferences.
Whistler from Oz

Thanks all for the good advice in this Thread.

I agree, the person selling this Gliga is telling some fibs or is clueless. I've blown off the deal and are keeping my options open.

Good advice about the bow - I'm thinking of getting a carbon fibre bow, which a friend who plays fiddle raves about. It might help be develop the skills required better than a basic starter one.

Best wishes
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

I'm late to this, I'm afraid.

I had a low end Gliga - a Genial. It was a nice fiddle for the price. I like Gligas. The Gama I heard a while back was a great sounding fiddle.

If you're in Oz, check out the Gliga videos by Whitehorse Music on Youtube. Search "Gliga violin whitehorse". The fella has done some nice comparisons, and IIRC he's an Australian dealer.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.