dramatic tune for bowed psaltery

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
greg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

dramatic tune for bowed psaltery

Post by greg »

im just learning so nothing too complex just something slow and dramatic, im thinking tangoish
Tim2723

Re: dramatic tune for bowed psaltery

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Greg, glad to hear you're still at it.

I don't know anything about tangos, but why not sign up over at PsalteryStrings? They have a lot of videos and such collected. You might find something there.

http://psalterystrings.ning.com/
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
greg

Post by greg »

i dont see much sheet music at psaltery strings , im just looking for some intresting song ideas. ive been playing the P whistle for a few years now and have lots of slow airs and such. but with the bp im a little less restricted in key and range [i know i can get 2 1/2 octaves out of the whistle but i dont much like the sound after it gets into the 3rd octave]
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I have a boatload of sheet music at my house. I play all kinds of music on whatever instruments I have. I also have a knack for transposing in my head, so I can read a song written in a complicated key and play it in a much simpler key for whichever instrument that I'm playing. Go to you local music store or book store that has sheet music and buy a collection. Libraries have books of sheet music too. Since you're playing a single note instrument, a cheat book/fake book would get you a lot of bank for your buck. I like playing with other people though and I like to see a harmony line too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
greg

Post by greg »

what do you mean by "cheat book" i was mostly looking for tune suggestions but i like your suggestion about the library also i was thinking of checking there for sheet music
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Here is the wiki definition of a fake book. That's what I meant by a cheat book. I can never remember the name of anything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_book
Here is the link to the book at Amazon.com
The Ultimate Music Fake Book at Amazon.com for $32.97
My local Books-A-Million sells books like this too as do some CD type music stores. Usually these books are sold in a genre, like "Best Rock Fake Book" or "Best Country Fake Book." They're always black. And 1,200 song for $32.00 is a good deal.

We don't own Fake Books because my wife plays the piano and they don't have the bass clef. I used to play the piano and can play the piano with just a melody line and the guitar chords but my wife thinks that is cheating. Hence, that's why I call them cheat books. But the really nice thing about these books is that the songs are usually all on one page or two pages facing each other.

pssst. We'll have to keep this a secret, you know how some of the folks around here get all wound up about sheet music. But we're not talking about ITM, we're talking about other music, so maybe they'll give us a pass.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦