What guitar to buy? Please read for more info I need help..

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Killain
antispam: No

What guitar to buy? Please read for more info I need help..

Post by Killain »

Well it has been probably a few years since I have been on the board I started coming on here when I was 18 to seek advice for playing the whistle and pipes, now I'm 24 years old and and once again am seeking to pick the brains of some of you.

Here is the situation I have $350.00 to $500.00 dollars to purchase a guitar for a family member. He is a pretty good guitar player and plays Irish music and sings folk music in a manner I would best compare to the clancy brothers, where he is located he can't just go pick out a guitar at a shop, if I don't send him one I doubt he will get something better till he comes home. I would like to buy him something decent because with his talent, I mean it too he has talent, the guitar he plays does not do him justice. I can't play a lick on a stringed insturment, so given the fact a test drive is unlikely. So what guitar's have a good track record. I'm highly aware insturments all have there own personality, but I know of no one who plays that I could take shopping. I guess my plan is to get some ideals on decent models then go have somone at the store play them while I listen, and grab the one that sounds best.

So far I have been told a seagull s6 a washburn, and a few others.... Some taylors and martins but was told the cheaper ones are not the best.... Anybody want to throw in their two cents this is the time. Thanks! Try to keep $350.00 to $500 in mind, and forget used because I probably am not waiting around to long to buy for him.
But since it falls unto my lot that I should go and you should not, I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.
Seonachan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What guitar to buy? Please read for more info I need help..

Post by Seonachan »

I'm fond of Seagull guitars, though I don't have much comparative experience with other brands. A basic S6 should be in the 300-350 range, and I'm sure they have fancier models that go up to your higher limit and beyond.

I haven't kept up with these things since I bought my S6 over 15 years ago, but AFAIK they have a solid reputation for well-built, well set-up guitars that have excellent value for the money, with little fear of getting a clunker in the batch.

In my own experience it's a beautiful guitar with good volume, low action, very playable. I do think it sounds a bit "ringy" for my taste - i.e. loud and chime-y but lacking warm, mellow tones esp in the low strings. But I've just gotten some advice to switch to nanoweb coated broze phosphor strings, which is supposed to balance out that sound. Haven't tried it yet though.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Killain

Post by Killain »

Seonachan thanks for your reply, and it sounds much like others have told me, In regards to the switching of strings really helping the sound out as well as being a nice affordable guitar.

As for the rest of you, Come on now let's hear what you have to say... I'm sure if I posted this in the whistle section or pipe section I would have got 20 answers all diffrent ;) But really if anyone has a opinion feel free to share just looking for opinions.
But since it falls unto my lot that I should go and you should not, I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

These days you can get a lot of guitar for $500. The kinks have long been worked out of most of the asian factory-made guitars.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I agree with s1m0n. I've owned a few Martins and Gibsons, which were great, and I miss them. They got traded off for banjos, mandolins and flutes.

A few years ago I bought a Korean-made guitar at Guitar Center --- it's a "Parkwood" from the factory that makes Cort guitars. It cost about $500. It's very well made of solid tonewoods, sounds great, and I don't have to treat it like a precious heirloom. GC (or someone) did a good set-up on it. I'd put it on par with lower end Martins in the $800 - $1000 range.

You still get what you pay for, but good guitars are a lot more affordable now than when I started out.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I also agree that the Asian made instruments have come a long way over the years. Because of that, you'll probably end up with a long list of labels. Personally, I like the Yamaha FG series.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Killain wrote:So far I have been told a seagull s6
That's exactly what I was going to suggest.
I went into a music store a few years ago
to buy one of the newer low-end Mexican
manufactured Martins. The guy there had
me try a Seagull next to the Martin and I
bought the Seagull. Haven't looked back.
I even got the Seagull with a bridge pickup
for a lower price than the Martin I was
looking at which had no pickup.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I got a Washburn for about $400 at a local music store. It has a cutaway neck, and piezie pickups in the bridge.

My main concern was getting something that was reasonably in tune with itself with a decent tone for playing around the camp fire.

It's probably the lower one on this page:

http://www.washburn.com/acoustics/d9-series/#d9ce
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

My daughter and I went to Guitar Center last year to try out guitars because she wanted a step up from the Alvarez she had as a beginner. After selling some other instruments and being given a friend's $50 gift card that was about to expire, she had $350 to work with. She tried the Martins in that range and didn't like them. Another customer suggested she try a Breedlove as they had a lightly used one with pickup sitting there for $350. To her surprise, she liked it and that's the one she bought.
petehay

Post by petehay »

Take a look at Art & Lutherie guitars. http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com I own both a Martin D15 solid Mahogany and an A&L Natural Cedar Solid Top. The Martin is a great sounding guitar but will cost you $800-$1000. The A&L with the same strings and set-up as the Martin sounds every bit as good for about $300. Art and Lutherie is affiliated with Godin which markets (makes?) SeaGull guitars. Check them out.
Pete in Portland
Killain

Post by Killain »

Thank you all for your post, as of right now I am looking at going to a store this weekend and hearing some of these guitars play. I guess I continue to hear alot of good about the seagull guitars, and the shop also carries Art & Lutherie guitars so I am going to take a listen to one of those also. I guess I like the Ideal of the guitars from Canada because from what I have heard so far the wood quality seems to bring out a tone that is best for the Dollar.

I'm not biased though and will be keeping in mind the names of some of the guitars you all mentioned. So if you have anything else to say feel free to let me know. If not thank you all for your time and thoughts.
Joatamon

Post by Joatamon »

Selecting any instrument is a subjective experience; each person hears sound differently, and each player has personal preferences different from others. Also, each guitar model offers particular upsides; a dreadnought is designed for strumming and flat picking associated with bluegrass but won't be terribly good for finger picking, models such as the 000 or an OM style offer more versatility for strumming or finger picking, but won't tend to have as much volume as the dreadnought. Essentially, it is difficult to pick out an instrument for someone else; If I didn't know someone's preferences, I'd tend to go with a more versatile model.

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the guitar makes suggested, but I'll throw in another to consider. I have several high end guitars made by small lutheries, and have had the opportunity to play many others, from 1930s Martins to Olsons. When visiting my local guitar shop recently I picked up and played a couple of guitars made by the Blueridge Guitar Co. They were in the $500 - $600 range, and I was very impressed with the sound, action and overall playability. They have a selection of both 000 and dreadnought models that you can find on the web for $350 to $520, and come with a hard shell case, which is a must, especially if you're shipping it off to your friend.

If you'd like more suggestions of things to think about, or just would like to chat about instruments you've found, feel free to send a pm and we can communicate through e-mail. If not, good luck!
"Discourse on virtue and they pass by in droves. Whistle and dance the shimmy, and you've got an audience."
Diogenes
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Is there any reason none of you suggested buying a guitar over the internet? Our local music stores are almost twice as expensive as the big internet stores. I've never bought a guitar over the internet but a guy I played with bought guitars over the internet like some of us buy strings and he was always pleased with his purchases.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Steve L

Post by Steve L »

Seagull guitars are good for the money. I think the Blueridge guitars are outstanding for the money. I teach in a small store that's a Fender and Washburn dealer. I've played a lot of their acoustic guitars and have never wanted to own any of them. YMMV.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

mutepointe wrote:Is there any reason none of you suggested buying a guitar over the internet? Our local music stores are almost twice as expensive as the big internet stores. I've never bought a guitar over the internet but a guy I played with bought guitars over the internet like some of us buy strings and he was always pleased with his purchases.

Hard to test the intonation and setup over the internet.