Irish harp

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Gusten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish harp

Post by Gusten »

Hi,
I just posted a request for fiddle instructions, and realized that I might as well ask for online harp instructions as well. My girlfriend recently bought a 22-string harp, to join me and my friends in playing irish traditional music. She's never played an instrument before, so for now I'm learning her some basics about music theory, and teaching her to play some simple melodies. (She's starting to get bored with Breeches full of Stitches...) I know absolutely nothing, though, of harp-playing techniques, or what sort of accompaniment a harper usually plays. She has a tutor book ordered that should arrive in a week or so, but it would be great with more irish-oriented instructions as well. When I search YouTube, I just find people playing Metallica and Iron Maiden on the harp, and that's not quite what she has in mind.

Any advice on free online instructions (tabs, written text explaining how to play, instructional videos, etc.) would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Gusten
Mandolin & Concertina player in
Long Gone Leprechaun
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish harp

Post by Redwolf »

I have to tell you that I really don't recommend teaching yourself to play harp, without at least some input from a teacher. This is an instrument that can cause serious over-use injuries without guidance. At the very least, a good video method is vital.

There are on-line teachers, who teach by Skype, if she's willing to pay for lessons.

FWIW, harpers don't usually play accompaniment...other than for other harpers or, occasionally (if they do classical music) for a cello, flute, or singer. The harp is primarily a soloist or duetist's instrument. It's a quiet instrument by nature. In traditional Irish music, it takes center stage. If she really wants to play harp, she needs to be thinking beyond accompanying other musicians, because that's really not what the harp is suited for. If anything, the other instruments should be accompanying the harp.

If she can't afford lessons, there are some book/DVD methods out there that can get her started. Sylvia Woods' "Teach Yourself To Play the Folk Harp" is good, and has given a lot of harpers their start. But I have to emphasize...this is a book for someone who wants to be a harper...a solo performer...not for someone who just wants to bang out chords behind a band.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Gusten

Post by Gusten »

Hi, thanks for replying. (And sorry for taking so long to do so myself.)

An instructional DVD might be a good idea. As she's completely new to playing an instrument whatsoever, she is more eager to learn to play the harp, and not learn how to read sheet music. (Which she's working on right now, in her tutorial book.) A teacher is not interesting at the moment, but a DVD would let her do things at her own pace, thanks for the advice!

I still think harp can be a great instrument for accompaning others. The only thing it's missing, that I can think of, would be loudness, and if playing on stage then that's easily fixed with a microphone. On sessions... Well, I rarely hear my mandolin on sessions neither, and I still play melody. I'm not saying she'll just be backing up, I'm trying to teach her melodies primarily. I do believe, though, that it's a wonderful instrument for accompaning (too!).
Gusten
Mandolin & Concertina player in
Long Gone Leprechaun
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

While she may not be interested in having a teacher, I have to repeat that I strongly, strongly, recommend she get one, even if she can only take lessons once a month or so. Crippling overuse injuries are common among harpers if their technique isn't good...and it can be very difficult to tell this (until you're in pain!) on your own. Correct technique is also essential for getting good tone from your instrument and, ultimately, for progressing. Self-taught harpers tend to have a lot of bad habits to unlearn when they suddenly realize that they're not progressing as well as they should.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Redwolf wrote:
FWIW, harpers don't usually play accompaniment...other than for other harpers or, occasionally (if they do classical music) for a cello, flute, or singer. The harp is primarily a soloist or duetist's instrument. It's a quiet instrument by nature. In traditional Irish music, it takes center stage. If she really wants to play harp, she needs to be thinking beyond accompanying other musicians, because that's really not what the harp is suited for. If anything, the other instruments should be accompanying the harp.
Not to be contrarian, but it is certainly possible and worthwhile to play OR accompany Irish dance tunes (session tunes) on a harp - it isn't traditional, but then again, neither are guitars, nor bouzoukis, nor bodhrans. A talented harpist can be more effective than a solid guitarist - and certainly more interesting. A great player in this regard is David Scheim, who I believe lives in Virginia.

Red is right in that, traditionally, the harp is a solo, contemplative instrument. But it need not be. Sileas (a harp duo) is a great example of how harps can be used in all sorts of ways.

On the other hand, DEFINITELY get some lessons - both because harp is extremely non-intuitive and more or less requires a teacher to get anywhere. Also, a well-made 22 stringer can be heard in a session, but you will want to move up to something with more oomph relatively quickly.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Gusten wrote:
I still think harp can be a great instrument for accompaning others. The only thing it's missing, that I can think of, would be loudness, and if playing on stage then that's easily fixed with a microphone. On sessions... Well, I rarely hear my mandolin on sessions neither, and I still play melody. I'm not saying she'll just be backing up, I'm trying to teach her melodies primarily. I do believe, though, that it's a wonderful instrument for accompaning (too!).
You're correct. In a normal-sized session, a harp (even a small one) can add a great deal and contribute in a way unlike other instruments. Nothing else sounds quite like it, and the articulation is also unique. On a decent harp, you won;t deafen anyone, but you will definitely be heard and appreciated.

Another recommendation - Draiocht - a husband-and-wife team of a flute and harp. While I don't care for some of the more modern tonalities chosen for the accompaniments, Brian Rooney is absolutely a master of accompaniment. Finally, every harper who aspires to play Irish dance tunes should own Grainne Hambly's entire repertoire.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.