Where to buy a Lute

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
khal

Where to buy a Lute

Post by khal »

Does anyone know where to buy a lute of reasonable quality, not outrageously expensive? Any opinions of the EMS lutes that are available on eBay? Thanks for any tips you may have.

Kim
Tim2723

Re: Where to buy a Lute

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Kim,

There are a number of makers online. First question is always the same: How much do you want to spend? :)

The EMS instruments get a lot of reviews. I've never checked out their lutes, but I've experienced their harp, psaltery (bowed and plucked), and mountain dulcimer. Judging only from the trend in quality set up by those four, I wouldn't be too hopeful for a lute. Generally poor materials and mediocre workmanship at best. They were made as mass-market introductory instruments, but missed the mark consistently, IMO. I recommend being prepared to save up more than you expected to, and not to be disappionted in having to wait a bit.

Of course, your mileage may vary, as they say.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Tim Hall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tim Hall »

There's a place for used instrument listings and lots of other info at Wayne Cripps' site

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute/

Good luck
khal

Post by khal »

Thanks for your replies. It's a shame that you can't find a mid priced lute like you can a guitar. They either are junk reproductions or expensive hand made instruments. I'll keep looking.

Kim
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Yes Kim, that's an unfortunate truth for a lot of instruments. To be exactly fair, I've never handled an EMS lute. They may be better than I estimate. It's just that the other instruments - the folk harp, the psalteries, the dulcimer - are pretty simple things to build well; they're really just basic boxes after all. My only thinking is that if they do those poorly, what might they do with something like a lute, with its staved back and complex structure? But perhaps I'm being completely unfair. Maybe if you could get to see one up close and try it, you might see something better in them. Perhaps you could land a real bargain in the used market on one so that the financal risk is small. Perhaps you might find a used one that has been ugraded in some way?

And then again, the EMS instruments are built in a part of the world where lute-like instruments such as the Oud and Saz are common, so maybe their luthiers have a lot of experience making decent low-cost lutes? It's possible that a mountain dulcimer is something utterly alien to them, and they don't understand how to make a great one.

There are always possibilities. I just don't want to be unfair even though my personal experience hasn't been the best kind.

Best of luck with your search and I hope you find somethng you enjoy.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Hmm. Have a luthier add frets to an oud?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Lutes, at least the ones I've seen, have had traditional gut frets that are tied on. I'm not sure how that would work with the tapered neck of the oud. I imagine them slipping toward the pegbox. I suppose you could add metal frets though. There are hybrid 'guitar-lutes' that work that way. You can buy a really nice oud priced reasonably enough. Might not be a bad idea.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

hi Khal
if your serious and really want to play a particular instrument - hunt out a "good" maker and pay them a visit.
Talk to them about the instrument and decide if it's "for you".
You may be lucky and get a "student" quality instrument properly made from decent materials for an affordable price. You've got nothing to lose.
yours Un.
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

oops forgot to add this link in the UK -
http://www.lutesandguitars.co.uk/
Un.
pickguy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pickguy »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hi. Well, it's been a while... just wondering if you ever found a lute to your liking. I just put a real nice, though a bit non-traditional, one on eBay. Check it out if you like. #320778002747 Gary