Hope for a cheap violin?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
boatgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hope for a cheap violin?

Post by boatgirl »

I bought a cheap violin for myself back in October. Now I am at the point where I am making some decent sounds come out of it. I bought Dominant strings which helped the sound I think. But last night I played my friend's really nice fiddle (not sure of the make but it isn't Chinese like mine) and I notice today how rough mine sounds compared to hers. Anyway, my question is this, will mine sound better the more I play it, break itself in a bit or will it always sound rough?

Thanks,
Boatgirl
PS I do realize it will never sound like a German antique!
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Hope for a cheap violin?

Post by emmline »

Well, I have a German antique, and it really doesn't sound all that hot. Of course there's the fact that it's me playing it...but still.
Several decades in my sister's basement may not have helped it.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

There's a reason for the vast range of pricing in violins, but even so, most or all will sound better when they're 'played in'. A violin that hasn't been played much recently will improve as it gets back into well-played shape.

But with your cheapie, you might want to have a good luthier give it a good set up job, if that didn't happen when you bought it. That can make a world of difference.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

I second the opinion to have it checked out by a good luthier. It's amazing the difference that can be made with a slight adjustment to the soundpost and bridge, at least it did with mine. Oh, and I also play with Dominant strings on both my violin and viola. Be warned that there is a bit of a break in period with them to get the best sound out of them.

Jonathan
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Also, were you playing your friend's violin with her bow or yours? A better bow will make a lot of difference too.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Thanks for the luthier advice. It would be handy if there were one close by and I could afford one right now. I will keep it in mind. Maybe I could get a book and tinker with the bridge myself. I know I can buy spare bridges cheaply so it may be fun to have a go........any tips here appreciated.

I was using my friend's bow when I played her fiddle - a fiber carbon coda bow which are supposed to be really nice I suppose so that could be relevant here. I would like to try her bow on my fiddle and see what happens.

Cheers,
Boatgirl
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

The biggest trick to replacing the bridge is to fit it correctly to the top. It's not hard, but takes a bit of work and practice. Bridges are fairly cheap, as you say.

But do try the bow trick. It may answer a lot of your questions without going down the wrong path. The bow really is half the instrument after all.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

+1 for the bow suggestion as well. I have a Coda Colours bow for my viola and really like it. I've heard good things about even the cheaper of the Coda bows. As far as a luthier, the one's I've used will all look at the instrument for free and give an evaluation of what needs to be done. One I've been too will even do minor adjustments for free. The problem is often finding one close by. Good luck on your experiments! They're always fun :D